Sidney Robert Bailey
Admiral SIR Sidney Robert Bailey, K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O., Royal Navy (27 August, 1882 – 27 March, 1942)
Life & Career
Promoted Commander on 30 June, 1914.
Appointed to Beatty's Staff, 12 May, 1916. Acted as Flag Commander and War Staff Officer.
He served as Gunnery Officer of H.M.S. Erin from 1914-1916.
In recognition of his "ability and unremitting work on the Staff of Admiral Sir David Beatty, G.C.B., G.C.V.O., D.S.O., Commander-in-Chief, Grand Fleet," he was appointed a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) on 5 April.
On 1 January, 1938, he was appointed a Knight Commander of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (K.B.E.).
- London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 31274. p. 4516. 5 April, 1919.
- London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 34469. p. 7. 1 January, 1938.
- London Gazette: no. 34651. p. 5393. 4 August, 1939.
- "Admiral Sir Sidney Bailey" (Obituaries). The Times. Monday, 30 March, 1942. Issue 49197, col F, pg. 6.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/47.