Leonard Andrew Boyd Donaldson
Life & Career
Donaldson left Vernon on 12 August and was appointed to President for Special Service, as President of the Submarine Attack Committee. On 1 October he was given the Acting Rank of Captain. He was confirmed in the rank of Captain on 31 December, 1914, and reappointed to President. He left the Admiralty on 4 October, 1915, and appointed to the Bonaventure on 11 Octoober, additional. On 21 October he was given command of Bonaventure as Captain (S) of the Sixth Submarine Flotilla. He was appointed to Victory on 20 June, 1916, for command of the converted German merchant ship Lucia (ex-Spreewald), and the Tenth Submarine Flotilla.
In the King's Birthday Honours of 3 June, 1918, Donaldson was appointed an Additional Member of the Third Class, or Companion in the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George (C.M.G.). In September he was given command of the battle cruiser New Zealand in the Second Battle Cruiser Squadron.
He was appointed an Ordinary Member of the Third Class, or Companion, in the Military Division of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (C.B.) on 1 January, 1925.
Donaldson's widow, Nora Caroline, died on 10 October, 1958, at 10 High Street, Fareham, Hants. She was cremated after a service at Fareham Parish Church on 24 October.
- London Gazette: no. 26983. p. 3984. 1 July, 1898.
- London Gazette: no. 28325. p. 29. 4 January, 1910.
- London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 29024. p. 6. 1 January, 1915.
- London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 30723. p. 6530. 3 June, 1918.
- "Naval Appointments" (Official Appointments and Notices). The Times. Monday, 18 August, 1919. Issue 42181, col C, pg. 14.
- London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 33007. p. 2. 1 January, 1925.
- London Gazette: no. 33139. p. 1650. 5 March, 1926.
- London Gazette: no. 33608. p. 3233. 23 May, 1930.
- London Gazette: no. 34159. p. 3048. 10 May, 1935.
- "Deaths" (Deaths). The Times. Thursday, 23 October, 1958. Issue 54289, col A, pg. 1.
- "Admiral L. A. B. Donaldson" (Obituaries). The Times. Saturday, 30 June, 1956. Issue 53571, col C, pg. 10.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/44.