John Hugh Bainbridge
Life & Career
Bainbridge was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 28 June, 1866.
He was appointed in command of battleship Resolution in the Channel Squadron on 17 December, 1896. On 11 May, 1898, he was appointed in command of the Nile, port guard ship. On 30 August he was appointed Commodore, Second Class in command of a squadron composed of the battleships Nile, Trafalgar, Thunderer, and the torpedo gunboat Spanker. The squadron dispersed at Portland on 12 October and Bainbridge struck his broad pendant on 13 October at Devonport.
- "Rear-Admiral Bainbridge" (Obituaries). The Times. Monday, 12 August, 1901. Issue 36531, col E, p. 4.
Gerard H. U. Noel
|Captain of H.M.S. Narcissus
4 May, 1892
Henry B. Lang
Andrew K. Bickford
|Captain of H.M.S. Resolution
17 Dec, 1896
Charles R. Arbuthnot
|Captain of H.M.S. Nile
8 May, 1898 – 30 Aug, 1898
Gerald C. Langley
- The London Gazette: no. 24356. p. 4673. 22 August, 1876.
- Bainbridge Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/36. f. 58.
- The London Gazette: no. 27100. p. 4444. 18 July, 1899.
- The Navy List. (April, 1894). p. 237.
- List of Her Majesty's Ships, Vessels, and Torpedo Boats Present at Spithead 26th June 1897 Together with an Index of the Officers Serving in Them, &c. p. 50.
- The Navy List. (October, 1898). p. 274.