Harry Mervyn Kemmis Betty
Early Life & Career
Kemmis Betty was the son of Colonel Joshua F. Kemmis Betty, R.A., of Hawkshurst, Kent.
On 28 November, 1890 Kemmis Betty was confirmed in the rank of Sub-Lieutenant, dated 14 April, 1889. On 11 November, 1890 he was appointed to the Calypso.
Martin was appointed to the sailing brig Martin for navigating duties on 14 August, 1891.
Martin was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 1 April, 1892. In November, 1896 he went to the Iris as Lieutenant (N.).
On 28 January, 1902 he married Katherine Jane Henrietta (1864-1948), daughter of Robert Carew Anderson and Jane Wallis Bolton.
On 31 December, 1903 he was promoted to the rank of Commander.
On 20 February, 1911 he was appointed to Ariadne to take command of Diadem. He was promoted to the rank of Captain on 22 June.
From 15 January, 1913 to 1 April, 1919 he commanded the repair ship Assistance, which served at Scapa Flow during the Great War. On 1 April, 1919 he was appointed Captain of the Dockyard and King's Harbour Master, Rosyth and succeeded Rear-Admiral Charles F. Henderson.
On 10 January 1930 Kemmis Betty bought an Armstrong Siddeley Fabric Saloon, numbered 82293. He died on Sunday, 22 December, 1940 at Yewtree Cottage, Alresford, Hants..
William D. Church
|Captain of H.M.S. Diadem
20 Feb, 1911
John W. L. McClintock
|Captain of H.M.S. Assistance
15 Jan, 1913
- "Naval and Military Intelligence". The Times. Saturday, 15 August, 1891. Issue 33404, col F, p. 6.
- The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 28505. p. 4596. 19 June, 1911.
- Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (February, 1919). p. 734.
- "Naval Intelligence" (Official Appointments and Notices). The Times. Wednesday, 2 April, 1919. Issue 42064, col G, p. 23.
- The Navy List. (July, 1911). p. 300.
- The Navy List. (February, 1919). p. 734.