George Northmore Arthur Pollard
Life & Career
Pollard saw considerable active service early in his career. He was still only a midshipman in Wolverine when he participated in suppressing the Morant Bay rebellion in Jamaica (1865), and in operations against war parties of the Fenian Brotherhood in Canada (1866): On 17 November 1865 the Board signified its high approval of his conduct in Jamaica; and he was awarded the Canada General Service Medal with clasp, Fenian Raid 1866.
He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 29 December, 1871. As Lieutenant of HMS Simoom he served ashore during the Third Anglo-Ashanti War, 1873-1874, being mentioned in despatches, and awarded the Ashantee Medal. In 1875, now Senior Lieutenant in HMS Nassau, he was present at the bombardment of Mombasa on the East African coast.
Pollard was promoted to the rank of Commander on 31 December, 1885.
Pollard was promoted to the rank of Captain on 1 January, 1894.
In 1897 he was appointed to third class protected cruiser Wallaroo, additional, to date February 11, for re-commission for service on the Australian station. Pollard commissioned the ship in Sydney on 21 April 1897. In June 1897 he annexed Bellona Island and the Stewart Islands to the British crown.
Retired due to age on 17 March, 1902.
Pollard was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral (retired) on 26 June, 1905.
His obituary in The Times noted that he was
"Too old to return to the Navy for the late war, [so] served as a special constable, and walked 3,000 miles on that duty."
- The National Archives. ADM 171/61.
- National Archives, ref. ADM 171/37.
- The Royal Navy List or Who's Who in the Navy (Witherby & Co., 1916), p. 150.
- London Evening Standard (27 January 1897), p. 4; The Navy List. (October 1898). p. 312.
- The Sydney Morning Herald (Tuesday, 31 August 1897), p. 6.
- The Times (Friday, 10 December 1920), p. 13.
- The Navy List. (October, 1881). p. 254.
- The Navy List. (September, 1885). p. 212.
- The Navy List. (April, 1891). p. 195.
- The Navy List. (March, 1892). p. 260.
- The Navy List. (March, 1896). p. 270.
- The Navy List. (October, 1898). p. 312.
- The Navy List. (March, 1901). p. 439.