Eighteenth Fleet Sweeping Flotilla (Royal Navy)

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

The Eighteenth Fleet Sweeping Flotilla was a formation of fleet minesweepers of the Royal Navy that operated out of Devonport late in the war.

History

It appears that the flotilla first appears in the Navy List in August, 1918.

c. August, 1918

The new formation is based in Devonport with four twin screw minesweepers. This roster would apply until some time between August and 1 November, 1918.[1]

Operating from Devonport
Twin Screw Minesweepers
Bootle Craigie Sutton Fareham

1 November, 1918 –

The formation is based in Devonport, and has swapped out its four twin-screw ships for paddle sweepers. In late 1918, it was temporarily detached to Granton.[2]

Operating from Devonport
Paddle Minesweepers
Eglinton Gatwick Melton Pontefract

Senior Officers

Footnotes

  1. Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (August, 1918). p. 17 and November's edition. Other editions within this span were unavailable to us.
  2. Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (January, 1919). p. 17 and Supplements through ....
  3. Nichols Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/124/224. f. 223.
  4. Nichols Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/124/224. f. 223.
  5. Nichols Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/124/224. f. 223.

Bibliography

  • Dittmar, F.J.; Colledge, J.J. (1972). British Warships 1914–1919. London: Ian Allan.

See Also



British Minesweeping Formations
Fleet Sweeping Flotillas (Great War)
First | Second | Third | Sixth | Seventh | Eighth | Ninth | Tenth
Eleventh | Twelfth | Thirteenth | Fifteenth | Sixteenth | Eighteenth | Nineteenth
Twentieth | Twenty-first | Twenty-second | Twenty-third | Twenty-fourth
Minesweeping Flotillas (World War II)
First | Second | Third | Fourth | Fifth | Sixth