Count Frederick Cosmeto Metaxa
Early Life & Career
For passing his examination at the Royal Naval College, Portsmouth, Metaxa was presented a watch by the Lord Mayor of London at the Mansion House, and was given a telescope by a Colonel Francis Seymour, equerry to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
Metaxa was promoted to the rank of Captain on 1 January, 1888. He was appointed in command of the Calypso on 1 November, 1888. In August, 1890, Calypso carried back to England the late Governor of Heligoland, Mr. Barkly, C.M.G., and also the guns which had been mounted on the island, with their shell and powder. Metaxa was succeeded in command of the Calypso by Captain William Marrack on 2 November, 1891.
An officer who served in the Navy at the tail-end of Metaxa's career later wrote:
Count Metaxa was another Captain whom no one wished to serve under; he was reputed to have disrated every Petty Officer in his ship during the few weeks of the annual manœuvres. He is now forgotten.
The key word there is, of course, "reputed."
In accordance with the provisions of the Order in Council of 8 December, 1903, he was placed on the Retired List, at his own request, on 12 September, 1905. He was advanced to the rank of Admiral on the Retired List on 2 January, 1909.
He died on 2 March, 1910, at St. George's Hotel, Menton, France.
- "Admiral Count F. C. Metaxa" (Obituaries). The Times. Monday, 7 March, 1910. Issue 39213, col D, p. 13.
- James, Admiral Sir William (1951). The Sky was Always Blue. London: Methuen & Co. Ltd..
- The National Archives. ADM 196/86.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/39.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/17.
John C. Burnell
|Captain of H.M.S. Calypso
1 Nov, 1888
|Captain of H.M.S. Rainbow
11 Jul, 1893 – c. mid Aug, 1893[Inference]
William C. C. Forsyth
|Captain of H.M.S. Leander
6 Dec, 1893
Frederick F. Fegen
|Captain of H.M.S. Sultan
8 Jul, 1896
Lewis F. Blackburn
Basil E. Cochrane
|Captain of H.M.S. Galatea
1 Sep, 1896 – 25 Sep, 1898[Inference]
Charles H. Cross
Charles J. Barlow
|Captain of H.M.S. Alexandra
25 Sep, 1898
Frederick W. Fisher
- The Spectator. 23 June, 1860. p. 591.
- The London Gazette: no. 23504. p. 3184. 4 June, 1869.
- The London Gazette: no. 25123. p. 3031. 30 June, 1882.
- The London Gazette: no. 25772. p. 15. 3 January, 1888.
- "Naval and Military Intelligence" (Official Appointments and Notices). The Times. Thursday, 25 October, 1888. Issue 32526, col C, p. 10.
- "Return of the Late Governor of Heligoland" (News). The Times. Tuesday, 12 August, 1890. Issue 33088, col E, p. 3.
- "Naval and Military Intelligence" (Official Appointments and Notices). The Times. Tuesday, 3 November, 1891. Issue 33472, col F, p. 4.
- James. p. 33.
- The London Gazette: no. 27289. p. 1417. 26 February, 1901.
- The London Gazette: no. 27344. p. 5258. 9 August, 1901.
- The London Gazette: no. 27824. p. 5376. 4 August, 1905.
- The London Gazette: no. 27837. p. 6329. 19 September, 1905.
- The London Gazette: no. 28212. p. 131. 5 January, 1909.
- The Navy List. (April, 1891). p. 207.
- The Navy List. (April, 1894). p. 231.
- The Navy List. (October, 1898). p. 252.