Argo Mounting

From The Dreadnought Project
Revision as of 19:49, 29 November 2014 by Tone (Talk | contribs) (Bibliography)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Argo Mounting was a rangefinder mounting that was gyro-stabilised in yaw.

Design

Fore Top Installations

The first ships given Argo mountings carried them free-standing in the fore top (often enlarged for the purpose).

In May, 1914, the following ships with Argo Mounts in their fore tops were to be provided one telescope Pattern G. 329 issued from Portsmouth:[1]

"Argo Tower" Installations

In 1908, the Director of Naval Ordnance was keen to place rangefinders behind armour protection. As a result, the Lion and King George V classes and their successors housed their Argo range finders in a revolving armoured hood atop the G.C.T., an installation dubbed the Argo Tower.[3]

Footnotes

  1. Admiralty Weekly Order No. 1082 of 8 May, 1914.
  2. Brooks. Dreadnought Gunnery. p. 50.
  3. Brooks. Dreadnought Gunnery. p. 50.

Bibliography