Difference between revisions of "Argo Mounting"

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search
(rename shiplink UK-Neptune)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[File:ArgoRangefinderRender01.jpg|thumb|640px|'''Argo Gyro-stabilized Rangefinder Mounting'''<br>Model by Rob Brassington. ]]
 +
 
The '''Argo Mounting''' was a rangefinder mounting that was gyro-stabilised in yaw.
 
The '''Argo Mounting''' was a rangefinder mounting that was gyro-stabilised in yaw.
  
Line 11: Line 13:
 
*[[Bellerophon Class Battleship (1907)|''Bellerophon'' class]]
 
*[[Bellerophon Class Battleship (1907)|''Bellerophon'' class]]
 
* [[St. Vincent Class Battleship (1908)|''St. Vincent'' class]]
 
* [[St. Vincent Class Battleship (1908)|''St. Vincent'' class]]
*{{UK-Neptune|f=p}}
+
*{{UK-1Neptune|f=p}}
 
*[[Colossus Class Battleship (1910)|''Colossus'' class]] (it appears that {{UK-Hercules}} might not have been given an Argo){{BrooksDGBJ|p. 50}}
 
*[[Colossus Class Battleship (1910)|''Colossus'' class]] (it appears that {{UK-Hercules}} might not have been given an Argo){{BrooksDGBJ|p. 50}}
 
*[[Orion Class Battleship (1910)|''Orion'' class]]
 
*[[Orion Class Battleship (1910)|''Orion'' class]]
Line 25: Line 27:
 
==Bibliography==
 
==Bibliography==
 
{{refbegin}}
 
{{refbegin}}
* {{BrooksDGNJ}}
+
* {{BrooksDGBJ}}
 
{{refend}}
 
{{refend}}
  
 
[[Category:Fire Control]]
 
[[Category:Fire Control]]
 
[[Category:Shipboard Equipment]]
 
[[Category:Shipboard Equipment]]

Latest revision as of 14:10, 10 November 2016

Argo Gyro-stabilized Rangefinder Mounting
Model by Rob Brassington.

The Argo Mounting was a rangefinder mounting that was gyro-stabilised in yaw.

Design

Fore Top Installations

The first ships given Argo mountings carried them free-standing in the fore top (often enlarged for the purpose).

In May, 1914, the following ships with Argo Mounts in their fore tops were to be provided one telescope Pattern G. 329 issued from Portsmouth:[1]

"Argo Tower" Installations

In 1908, the Director of Naval Ordnance was keen to place rangefinders behind armour protection. As a result, the Lion and King George V classes and their successors housed their Argo range finders in a revolving armoured hood atop the G.C.T., an installation dubbed the Argo Tower.[3]

Footnotes

  1. Admiralty Weekly Order No. 1082 of 8 May, 1914.
  2. Brooks. Dreadnought Gunnery. p. 50.
  3. Brooks. Dreadnought Gunnery. p. 50.

Bibliography