Difference between revisions of "Alexander Riall Wadham Woods"
|Line 43:||Line 43:|
Revision as of 07:19, 14 August 2017
Life & Career
On the occasion of the resignation of Admiral Sir Francis C. B. Bridgeman as First Sea Lord, Woods was promoted to the rank of Commander dated 9 December, 1912. Bridgeman had written to the First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston S. Churchill, on 8 December:
I should be obliged if my resignation should be associated with his promotion at this time; he is regarded as the most able and experienced Signal Lieutenant in the Navy; he served with me in several commands, and I cannot say too much in his favour.
On 15 September he was appointed a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) for his services at Jutland.
- "Rev A. R. W. Woods" (Obituaries). The Times. Tuesday, 2 November, 1954. Issue 53078, col F, p. 6.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/142.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/125.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/91.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/45.
Francis C. Brown
|Captain of H.M.S. Topaze
22 Aug, 1916 – 1919
Cuthbert D. Longstaff
Gilbert G. P. Hewett
|Captain of H.M.S. Greenwich
17 Aug, 1922
Arthur M. Lecky
Henry G. Thursfield
|Captain of H.M.S. Concord
12 Sep, 1924 – mid 1925
Charles E. Kennedy-Purvis
- The London Gazette: no. 28673. p. 9696. 20 December, 1912.
- Bridgeman to Churchill. Letter of 8 December, 1912. Copies of Churchill-Bridgeman correspondence. p. 5. The National Archives. CAB 37/113. No. 135.
- The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 29751. p. 9071. 15 September, 1916.
- Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (February, 1919). p. 921.
- Mackie, Colin. ROYAL NAVY WARSHIPS.
- The Navy List. (February, 1919). p. 921.
- The Navy List. (July, 1924). p. 242.
- The Navy List. (April, 1925). p. 227.