William Rea Furlong
Life & Career
William Rea Furlong was born in Allenport, Pennsylvania on May 26, 1881. He was the son of William Allen and Ethel Grant Furlong. Furlong attended the Normal School in California, Pennsylvania, where he earned a teaching degree that allowed him to work as a teacher for almost two years until his appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy. Furlong was officially admitted to Annapolis, and the U.S. Navy, on 21 May, 1901.
- Furlong, William Rea and McCandless, Byron, with the editorial assistance of Harold D. Langley (1981). So Proudly We Hail: The History of the United States Flag. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press.
Robert M. Doyle
|Captain of U.S.S. Chicago
before 1 Jan, 1911 – 1912
Robert A. Abernathy
Ralph A. Koch
|Captain of U.S.S. Marblehead
29 Dec, 1930
Charles W. Crosse
- Register of Officers, 1902. p. 88.
- Register of Officers, 1941. p. 14.
- Register of Officers, 1911. p. 36.
- Register of Officers, 1912. p. 36.
- Register of Officers, 1913. p. 24.