Swatara Class Sloop (1873)
Five Swatara class sloops were completed for the U.S. Navy from 1874 to 1885.
|Overview of five vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Swatara||New York NYd||1872||17 Sep, 1873||11 May, 1874||Sold 2 Nov, 1896|
|Marion||Portsmouth NYd||1872||22 Dec, 1873||12 Jan, 1876||Sold 24 Jul, 1907|
|Quinnebaug||Philadelphia NYd||1872||28 Sep, 1875||2 Oct, 1878||Sold 25 Mar, 1891|
|Galena||Norfolk NYd||1872||13 Mar, 1879||26 Aug, 1880||Sold 9 May, 1892|
|Mohican||Mare Island NYd||4 Sep, 1872||27 Dec, 1883||25 May, 1885||Sold 4 Mar, 1922|
Design & Construction
All five were officially described as "repairs" of older ships, a traditional method used to fund new ships without the troublesome business of asking a Congress hostile of military spending to authorize new warships.
Varied. See individual articles.
- Bauer and Roberts. Register of Ships. p. 71.
- Bauer, K. Jack and Roberts, Stephen S. (1991). Register of Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1775-1990: Major Combatants. New York: Greenwood Press.
- Chesneau, Robert; Kolesnik, Eugene (editors) (1979). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. London: Conway Maritime Press. (on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk).
- Silverstone, Paul H. (2006). The U.S. Navy Warship Series: Civil War Navies, 1855-1883. New York: Routledge.
- Silverstone, Paul H. (2006). The U.S. Navy Warship Series: The New Navy 1883-1922. New York: Routledge.
|Swatara Class Screw Sloop|