Shakespeare Class Flotilla Leader (1917)
Seven flotilla leaders of the Shakespeare Class were ordered late in the war, but only two were completed by the end of hostility and two were cancelled.
|Overview of 5 vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Shakespeare||John I. Thornycroft & Company||7 Jul, 1917||Handed over 2 Sep, 1936|
|Spenser||John I. Thornycroft & Company||22 Sep, 1917||Handed over 29 Sep, 1936|
|Wallace||John I. Thornycroft & Company||26 Oct, 1918||20 Mar, 1945|
|Keppel||John I. Thornycroft & Company||23 Apr, 1920||Jul, 1945|
|Broke||John I. Thornycroft & Company||16 Sep, 1920||Foundered 9 Nov, 1942|
In 1916, it was stated that flotilla leaders have two 26.25 kw dynamos arranged in parallel with an additional 9 kw oil-fired set for emergency use. It is likely that this applied to this class.
The ships were armed as follows.
- Five 4.7-in B.L. Mark I guns on C.P. VI mountings
These guns could elevate 30 degrees and had 24 common, 96 lyddite and 19 practice rounds per gun.
- One 3-in H.A. gun on S. III mounting with 100 rounds
- One .303-in Maxim with 5,000 rounds
- Two Triple Revolving 21-in torpedo mounts
In 1917, it was approved that all flotilla leaders except Swift and Abdiel should receive installations of the British Destroyer Director Firing System, though no installations of this equipment were completed prior to 1918.
The first three units were completed with directors. It seems certain the last two would have, as well.[Inference]
These ships had no fire control tables.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1916. p. 120.
- March. British Destroyers. p. 196.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1917. Plate100.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1917. Plate101.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1917. p. 229.
- Progress in Naval Gunnery, 1914-1918. p. 37.
- Director Firing For Flotilla Leaders and Destroyers. p. 55.
- The Director Firing Handbook. p. 146.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1917. p. 210. Plate 82.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1919. pp. 118, 119.
- absent from list in Handbook of Capt. F.C. Dreyer's Fire Control Tables, p. 3.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1910). Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1909. Copy No. 173 is Ja 345a at Admiralty Library, Portsmouth, United Kingdom.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1918). Handbook of Captain F. C. Dreyer's Fire Control Tables, 1918. C.B. 1456. Copy No. 10 at Admiralty Library, Portsmouth, United Kingdom.
|Shakespeare Class Flotilla Leader|
|<–||"V" Class||Destroyer Leaders (UK)||Scott Class||–>|