Scapa Flow

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Scapa Flow was the chief anchorage of British Grand Fleet for most of the First World War. The massive body of water was enclosed by the Orkney Islands of Mainland, Graemsay, Burray, South Ronaldsay and Hoy. Scapa Flow's position to the north-east of Scotland made it the perfect place to maintain the blockade of Germany and interdict and German vessels attempting to break out into the Atlantic. It served as the main anchorage for the British Grand Fleet for most of the Great War.

In Command

On 8 August, 1914, Rear-Admiral Francis S. Miller was appointed to Hannibal then Cyclops for service as Rear-Admiral at Scapa. His position was "similar to that of admiral Superintendent of a dockyard port."[1]

Rear-Admiral, Scapa served under the Admiral Commanding, Orkneys and Shetlands until it was merged into it after the end of the war.

King's Harbour Master

Footnotes

  1. Grand Fleet Orders. "106. Fleet base at Scapa Flow, Orkneys and Shetlands.—Administration." The National Archives. ADM 137/4052. p. 35.
  2. Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (March, 1915). p. 4.
  3. Miller Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/42. f. 188.
  4. Prendergast Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/42. f. 242.
  5. Prendergast Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/42. f. 242.
  6. Coke Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/43/399. f. 441.
  7. Coke Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/43/399. f. 441.

Bibliography

  • Brown, Malcolm; Meehan, Patricia (2002). Scapa Flow. London: Pan Books. ISBN 1-405-00785-0.