James Cantrell Johnstone Soutter
Life & Career
On 1 August, 1914, Soutter was appointed to the battleship Formidable.
Soutter was senior lieutenant in the third class protected cruiser Amethyst on 14 March 1915 at 4.10am when she was hit heavily by shore batteries, killing twenty-two of her crew and wounding thirty-eight while knocking out the steering gear and engine room telegraphs. Soutter and crew quickly arranged hand steering and ad hoc communication to extricate the ship from danger. Later, he and his captain, Commander George James Todd were mentioned in despatches.
Soutter was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander on 1 April, 1915. He was appointed to the battleship Malaya on 28 December, 1915 and served as her 6-in control officer at the Battle of Jutland and through the end of the war.
Maurice B. R. Blackwood
|Captain of H.M.A.S. Platypus
26 May, 1923
George F. Langford
Herbert Victor Creer
|Captain of H.M.A.S. Anzac
14 Jan, 1925
James R. C. Cavendish
Arthur E. Buckland
|Captain of H.M.S. Argus
3 Mar, 1931 – 22 May, 1931[Inference]
Claud A. Merriman
- The Navy List. (January, 1915). p. 125.
- Todd Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/44/7. f. 7.
- The Navy List. (November, 1919). p. 358.
- The Navy List. (November, 1919). p. 840.
- The Navy List. (January, 1921). p. 347.
- The Navy List. (January, 1921). p. 831.
- The Navy List. (July, 1924). p. 295.
- The Navy List. (April, 1925). p. 292.