Helgoland Class Battleship (1909)
|Overview of 4 vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Helgoland||Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft, Kiel||11 Nov, 1908||25 Sep, 1909||23 Aug, 1911||Broken up 1921|
|Oldenburg||Schichau-Werke, Danzig||1 Mar, 1909||30 Jun, 1910||1 May, 1912||Broken up 1921|
|Ostfriesland||Kaiserliche Werft Wilhelmshaven||19 Oct, 1908||30 Sep, 1909||1 Aug, 1911||Expended 21 Jul, 1921|
|Thüringen||AG Weser, Bremen||2 Nov, 1908||27 Nov, 1909||1 Jul, 1911||Broken up 1921|
A 1912 intelligence report from a "what is believed to be a reliable source" painted the following picture for the British.
The lower conning tower and the transmitting room consists of one room with two compartments situated in the central passage.
There were three control positions:
- the fore conning tower
- the after conning tower
- the lower conning tower, in the central passage
The control positions each contained a set of transmitting instruments for the starboard guns and one for the port guns (painted green and red, respectively). A pair of phones permitted direct communication with all 12-in and 5.9-in guns. Additionally, the fore C.T. could speak with all the guns or with the after C.T., depending on a change-over switch in the T.S.. It also had direct communication with the lower conning tower. Voice-pipes offered an alternative to these phone lines.
The "transmitter" was a horizontal bronze box with four handles in a line. The centre two handles were larger, and could be twisted to transmit ranges indicated on an engraved enamel disc. The small handle on the left indicated orders such as "Attention, torpedo boats" and the small one on the right transmitted deflection in units 0-28, left and right, presumably in the German standard of four arcminutes per pip. Each gun also had a handle on the transmitter, which could be lowered to ring the alarm bell at the gun. The "receivers" were similar, but had no handles.
The 12-in and 5.9-in guns each had a switchboard in the T.S. that with a handle for each of the three control positions and one for each gun of the given type, colour coded by broadside. Turning these handles could connect the port transmitter to the starboard guns or vice-versa, tie the guns to any control position, or connect those guns situated where they might be useful in a chase to communicate with the fore or after control towers. The telephones had similar flexibility, and those in the fore and after control towers could be connected to each other or with the central passage.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1915. pp. 241-2.
- Grießmer, Axel (1999). Linienschiffe der Kaiserlichen Marine 1906-1918: Konstructionen zwischen Rüstungskonkurrenz und Flottengesetz. Bonn: Bernard & Graefe Verlag. ISBN 3-7637-5985-9.
|Helgoland Class Dreadnought|
|<–||Nassau Class||Battleships (DE)||Kaiser Class||–>|