H.M.S. Osprey (Anti-Submarine School)

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

H.M.S. Osprey was a Royal Navy anti-submarine training base established in Portland in 1924. It was named for a small armed trawler of 336 tons which served as the flagship of the First Anti-Submarine Flotilla. It moved ashore in 1927.

History

In March 1925, the school's Commander Crace was supported by Lieutenant P. R. Tanner. Also present were Lieutenant-Commander (A/S) P. F. Cooper, Lieutenants (A/S) N. J. W. William-Powlett, F. J. Walker, N. A. Prichard, J. A. Binnie and G. D. S. Johnson and Lieutenants R.A.N. (A/S) J. C. D. Esdaile and H. G. K. Melville.

Captains

See Also

Footnotes

  1. Crace Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/51. f. 61.
  2. Crace Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/51. f. 61.
  3. Vaughan-Jones Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/49/237. f. 127.
  4. Vaughan-Jones Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/49/237. f. 127. Whether his command ended in January or June is difficult to interpret, but he remained there until June.
  5. The Navy List. (July, 1927). p. 257.
  6. The Navy List. (February, 1929). p. 257.
  7. Crace Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/51. f. 61.
  8. Crace Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/51. f. 61.
  9. The Navy List. (January, 1933). p. 257.