George Grey Aston
Life & Career
Aston was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 1 September, 1881.
Aston was appointed an Ordinary Member of the Third Class, or Companion, in the Military Division of the Order of the Bath (C.B.) on 26 June, 1902.
On 7 May, 1913, he was specially promoted to the rank of Colonel, Second Commandant, under the provisions of the Order in Council of 15 January, 1878, clause 6, for his services in South Africa. On the occasion of the King's birthday he was appointed an Ordinary Member of the Second Class, or Knight Commander, in the Military Division of the Order of the Bath (K.C.B.) on 3 June.
- "Maj.-Gen. Sir George Aston" (Obituaries). The Times. Saturday, 3 December, 1938. Issue 48168, col D, p. 14.
- Aston, Maj.-Gen. Sir George (1919). Memories of a Marine. London: John Murray.
- Papers in the possession of the Royal Marines Museum.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/61.
- The London Gazette: no. 26534. p. 4154. 12 August, 1881.
- The London Gazette: no. 26694. p. 7532. 31 December, 1895.
- The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 27448. p. 4189. 26 June, 1902.
- The London Gazette: no. 28719. p. 3514. 16 May, 1913.
- The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 28724. p. 3903. 3 June, 1913.