George Arthur Trever

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Lieutenant Commander George Arthur Trever (11 June, 1885 – 14 October, 1918) served in the United States Navy.

Life & Career

This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships

Born in Waupun, Wisconsin, Trever was appointed to the Naval Academy in May 1905 and graduated on 4 June 1909.

He spent the years prior to his commissioning in cruises in Pennsylvania, Princeton (Gunboat No. 13), and Annapolis (Gunboat No. 10). Receiving the single gold stripe of an ensign while serving in Rowan (Torpedo Boat No. 8) on 5 June 1911, Trever assumed command of that vessel later that month.

In September 1912, he was transferred to Farragut and he commanded her until early 1914, when detached to report on board Cheyenne (Monitor No. 10).

Following his tour in Cheyenne, newly promoted Lt. (j.g.) Trever was ordered to H-1, then attached to the Pacific Fleet. After a two-year tour of duty commanding H-1, he reported for duty at the Mare Island Navy Yard. In the spring of 1917, Trever reported to the Puget Sound Navy Yard to supervise the building of N-1 then under construction at the Seattle Construction & Drydock Company.

N-1 was commissioned on 26 September 1917 and operated put of Puget Sound until transferred to New York late in the year for patrol duties in the Atlantic.

In May 1918, Trever was ordered to the Fore River Shipbuilding Company in Quincy, Massachusetts, to assist in fitting out O-5. He assumed command of the new O-boat on 8 or 9 June 1918 and received the temporary rank of lieutenant commander on 1 July, 1918.

On 5 October, 1918, while Trever was captain of O-5 he was injured by an explosion in the battery compartment that killed his Lieutenant, j.g., William J. Sharkey, as the submarine was undergoing post-commissioning tests. Lieutenant Commander Robert Henry English of O-4 came to his assistance, and was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions.

Trever was severely injured, however, and died nine days later in the hospital. In 1922, a destroyer was commissioned bearing the name U.S.S. Trever.

See Also


Service Records

Naval Appointments
Preceded by
Claude S. Gillette
Captain of U.S.S. Farragut
late 1912[1][2][Inference] – 24 Jan, 1914[3]
Succeeded by
Merritt Hodson
Preceded by
Henry M. Jensen
Captain of U.S.S. Seawolf
before 1916[4]
Succeeded by
Joseph L. Nielson
Preceded by
New Command
Captain of U.S.S. N-1
26 Sep, 1917
Succeeded by
George C. Fuller
Preceded by
New Command
Captain of U.S.S. O-5
8 Jun, 1918
Succeeded by
Lawrence F. Reifsnider


  1. Register of Officers, 1913. p. 50.
  2. Register of Officers, 1912. p. 48.
  3. "The Navy Gazette". Army and Navy Register. 31 January, 1914. Vol. LV, No. 1,750, p. 151.
  4. Register of Officers, 1917. p. 46.