Conte di Cavour Class Battleship (1911)
Italy's three Conte di Cavour class dreadnoughts were delivered in 1914-15 – successors to the nation's first dreadnought-type ship, Dante Alighieri. One would be lost to Austro-Hungarian sabotage at anchor in Taranto harbour during the war.
The class introduced super-firing turrets to the Italian navy, positioning two of the five turrets as twins firing over triples, fore and aft, with another triple amidships.
|Overview of 3 vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Conte di Cavour||La Spezia Arsenale||10 Aug, 1910||10 Aug, 1911||Sunk 12 Nov, 1940|
|Giulio Cesare||Giovanni Ansaldo & Company, Genoa||24 Jun, 1910||15 Oct, 1911||14 May, 1914||Transferred 1948|
|Leonardo da Vinci||Cantieri Navali Odero, Setri Ponente||18 Jul, 1910||14 Oct, 1911||Sunk 2 Aug, 1916|
The ships had a peculiarly tall barbette under the super-firing "B" turret which must have come at great cost to the design in terms of weight.
|Conte di Cavour Class Dreadnought|
|Conte di Cavour||Giulio Cesare||Leonardo da Vinci|
|<–||Dante Alighieri||Battleships (IT)||Andrea Doria Class||–>|