Category:H.M.S. Britannia (Training Ship) Entrants of January, 1877
Thirty-eight candidates received naval cadetships following competitive examinations, in the following order of merit.
- Frederick William Fane Hervey
- Albert Sumner Lafone
- John Dodson Daintree
- Walter Kent Williams
- The Hon. Henry Boyle Townshend Somerville
- The Hon. John Charles Montagu Douglas Scott
- Arthur William Waymouth
- John Franklin Parry
- Frederick Seymour Rogers
- Henry St. George Somerset Clive
- Edmund Heathcote Thurston (withdrawn from service 27 September, 1883 for repeated disciplinary issues)
- Torquill Macleod and Llewellyn Edmund Traherne
- above two tied
- Ernest R. Travers (only his initial is given at TNA)
- Herbert A. S. Tyler (only his initials given at TNA)
- Ernest Montague Fetherstonhaugh
- Bryan Godfrey Godfrey-Faussett
- Reginald Hugh Spencer Bacon
- Francis Spurstow Miller and Herbert Powley
- above two tied
- G. H. Oliver
- Charles George Carroll Taylor
- Vivian Ormsby Lloyd Champion de Crespigny
- Edmund Courtney Astley Paston-Cooper
- Charles Mure
- Francis Eaton Travers
- William Philip Lodder
- Spencer William Montagu Beaumont
- Ernest Humbert Grafton
- Philip Cranstown Musgrave
- Francis Bowden-Smith
- The Hon. Robert Francis Boyle
- Cecil John Peareth
- Charles William Stares Leggatt
- James Jamieson Clyde Young
- Arthur Hayes-Sadler
- Arthur B. M. Howard (only initials at TNA, naval cadet)
- Francis P. Webber (only initials at TNA, naval cadet)
Though absent in the article, the Service Record of Herbert Arthur Stevenson Fyler clearly indicates that he was also part of this term.
The following unsuccessful candidates were welcome to present themselves at the next examination on the third Wenesday in June.
- Eustace William Clitherow Stracey (would enter July 1877)
- C. W. Lance
- Patrick Maxwell Stewart (would enter July 1877)
- John Hercules Robinson (would enter July 1877)
- S. C. Weighall
- H. C. Cumberbatch
- "Naval And Military Intelligence." The Times (London, England), Friday, Dec 08, 1876; pg. 6; Issue 28807.
- Thurston Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 197/42. f. 213.
Pages in category "H.M.S. Britannia (Training Ship) Entrants of January, 1877"
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total.