Ascot Class Minesweeper (1916)

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Thirty-two Ascot class paddle minesweepers were ordered for the Royal Navy in 1915 through early 1917.

The last eight ordered, in January, 1717, were of a very slightly larger design.

Design & Construction

They were inspired by the hired paddle sweepers that had performed well early in the war to Ailsa Shipbuilding's successful design for Glen Usk.[1]

Armament

  • two 6-pdr guns
  • two 2-pdr guns

Service

Pendant Numbers

When they served in the Auxiliary Patrol, all were given pendant numbers that were the Fishing pendant superior with their Admiralty number inferior. When they later joined the Mine Clearance Service, they used a T flag superior with either their Admiralty number inferior or they employed the pendant number specified.[2]

See Also

Footnotes

  1. Dittmar; Colledge. British Warships 1914–1919. p. 111.
  2. Dittmar; Colledge. British Warships 1914–1919. p. 111.

Bibliography

  • Gray, Randal (editor) (1985). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1906–1921. London: Conway Maritime Press. (on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk).


Ascot Class Paddle Minesweeper
1915 Design
Ascot Atherstone Chelmsford Chepstow Croxton
Doncaster Eglinton Epsom Eridge Gatwick
Kempton Lingfield Ludlow Melton Newbury
Plumpton Pontefract Cheltenham Goodwood Haldon
  Hurst Redcar Sandown Totnes  
Enlarged, 1917 Design
  Banbury Harpenden Hexham Lanark  
  Lewes Shincliffe Shirley Wetherby  
  Minesweepers (UK) Hunt Class –>