Armoured Director Tower
The Armoured Director Tower was a well-protected revolving structure on a capital ship within which a gun director was situated. It was generally regarded as the fall-back director position in the event of casualty or visibility problems being experienced by the primary aloft director, which generally offered better visibility but which was not well protected.
The innovation was a late-breaking one for the Royal Navy, as it was only then being realised the primacy of director firing to naval combat. Only the Queen Elizabeth, Revenge, Renown, Courageous and Hood classes were built with these features. Other ships relied on use of directing guns as a secondary director position.
- Brooks, John (2005). Dreadnought Gunnery and the Battle of Jutland: The Question of Fire Control. Oxon: Routledge. ISBN 0714657026. (on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk).
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1917). The Director Firing Handbook. O.U. 6125 (late C.B. 1259). Copy No. 322 at The National Archives. ADM 186/227.