The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funnel Bands on Royal Navy warships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Funnel Bands on Royal Navy warships Reply with quote

I have always wondered what the stripes on smoke stacks of battleships, cruiser and destroyers signified. I read in passing a long time ago that they denoted squadron and division of a certain ship, but I've never seen anything describing the system behind it. Can anyone fill in the hole in my knowledge?
Cheers,
Harley
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are identification bands. Each ship of a given type and funnel count had a unique banding. Most were white, but some large hullcount types (e.g.: light cruisers) had to branch into different colors.

I used to have a post on some other BBS where I'd noted all these for the RN. It's gone missing. You'll often find funnel markings in publications such as Janes or Conways or a Naval Annual

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Parkes funnel markings were introduced from 1903 onwards when ships became overall grey. They were first introduced in the Channel Fleet. There was no standard system until 1911 when a class would have bands of white, red and black in alphabetical order. With the start of the war in 1914 they were removed. I think the last capital ships to carry them were the KGV's and the Lion class. You will find each ships markings in Parkes.
Harley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, gentlemen. Alas, I've been following two copies of Parkes on eBay in the past few days and both have ended costing more than 50 pounds, which is impossible for an impoverished student to afford however excellent the book!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: