The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

References needed for RN ships' boats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabrown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: References needed for RN ships' boats Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I'm working on a 3d model of an Indefatigable class battlecruiser.

I want to model the ship's boats but lack any decent references. I think these boats were pretty common across the various British dreadnoughts?

Any links to references (free/cheap) or scans of plans would be much appreciated!

Mark Brown

http://www.homepages.ihug.com.au/~mabrown/
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thought is John Roberts's Anatomy of the Ship book on Dreadnought. A good several boats there in fair detail (given their place in the scope of things)

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mabrown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tone!

The real bummer is that I had a copy of anatomy for HMS Hood but I can't find it! I suspect that the boats in that would have been ok as a reference. She had a 50ft(?) steam pinnace. I moved house a while back and haven't seen it since :(

These boats really add to the overall look. Troels Hansen's boats on his 3d Warspite are particularly nice. It would be nice to achieve that level of detail.

Mark
maxyang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For boats, the anatomy of Dreadnought has more drawings than the Hood one.

It is a good time to bring up the model sharing issue again. There could be quite some time saved by sharing the components, like the boats, ports, scuttles, anchors and even turrets. With those shared parts, one can either use it directly with his model or create his copy by referencing existing ones. It will reduce the modeling time and increase productivity. One more benefit is that the components can be double checked for historial accuracy.
mabrown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tone and Max,

I found my copy of Anatomy for Hood :) The boats in that are a help. Also think I can get a copy of Anatomy for Dreadnought here in Adelaide for AU$30 so I'm going to pick that up. I suppose hull lines or sections for these boats is unlikely unless you have builders plans. I'll just have to wing it!

I also think a repository for reusable parts is a good idea. I thought I remembered there being some parts models up on the DP site before. Are they still there? Any plans to reintroduce this Tone?

Mark
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this sort of repository is the key to any serious modeling effort. Ships become compositions more than anything.

I would gladly host any such repository. The key, I think, will be in creating a database (or script) model suitable for allowing the composition of the models to be achieved from the component parts.

We'd need to consider who would have access to the models, and whether a single or a small variety of model licenses could be applied to them individually (e.g.: someone might determine that his 13.5" turret is for free use by other DP members for static, non-commercial renders, whereas someone else might determine his training handwheel for a 4" gun is free for anyone at all with no barriers).

Minimally, we should agree, I think, on a single (or small number) of "standard" formats, a filenaming scheme, and minimal meta data format (artist, source, errata) etc

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iain

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, any chance of this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: