The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plans at NMM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjdean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Plans at NMM Reply with quote

I'm a new visitor to the site so please excuse me if I sound too uninformed. I'm interested in ordering plans from the NMM in Greenwich, but being in the US I've never had any dealings with the museum. I'm specifically looking for HMS Iron Duke from WWI. I've noticed a lot of people go to NMM for modeling and gaming, so I'm hoping someone could just provide a little insight on the museum's plan section, such as turnaround time for orders, were you satisfied with the copies, etc.
Horsa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have visited the NMM ship plans dept and had some correspondence with the curator there so can offer these observations.

Their collection is second to none and the detail of the drawings is incredible. They are however relatively expensive and I also have the impression that their turnaround is relatively slow. You may find it difficult specifying which drawings you want without actually being able to view them. They do not have a set of thumbnails to help you in this.

If you contact them they will provide you with tariffs. Make sure you emphasise that you are a private individual and the drawings are not for any commercial gain.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RJ. Horsa is on the money here, but I'll offer the suggestion that you can have a fair chance at knowing which drawings are worth having if you know the title of the drawing (the NMM would pull the set and tell you the names of the drawings for around 10 pounds).

What sort of project do you hope to undertake? I suspect that perhaps you are someone I corresponded with in email just now. Let me know if that's the case.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: