The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Royal Navy and the Tactics of Decisive Battle, 1912-1916

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwduquette1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: The Royal Navy and the Tactics of Decisive Battle, 1912-1916 Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 Society for Military History. All rights reserved.
The Journal of Military History 67.1 (2003) 85-136
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Matter of Timing:
The Royal Navy and the Tactics of Decisive Battle, 1912-1916

Jon Tetsuro Sumida
[Tables]

Abstract: In 1912, the Admiralty adopted a secret tactical system that was supposed to enable a British battle fleet to destroy a German opponent through five minutes shooting at medium range. The quick destruction of the Germans was to be followed by a simultaneous turn away by the British, which would counter the threat of enemy torpedoes. Belief in this scheme interfered with the development of equipment and methods suitable to battle fleet action that involved long range and maneuver while shooting, which set the stage for much that went wrong for the Royal Navy at the battle of Jutland.

Last edited by jwduquette1 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:33 am; edited 3 times in total
jwduquette1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaa

Last edited by jwduquette1 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
jwduquette1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzz

Last edited by jwduquette1 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Adrian Dobb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid - a Sumida article.

I haven't had time to read it all yet but one thing that did strike me quite quickly was the torpedo ranges and capabilities quoted. The ranges and speeds 'feel' more like the characterstics of WWII era weapons rather than WWI. I checked in Brown and he gives the RN MkII**** settings of 45knots for 4,200 yards or 19 knots for 10,000 yards. He doesn't date the MkII**** but refers to it as the latest version in the context of 1916. To achieve a 10,000 yard range a speed of 19 knots would be 2 knots slower than a 21 knot dreadnought. This sounds to me more like a realistic 1916 capability than the 28/27 knots Sumida mentions, but I'll happily stand corrected? It sounds picky but the slower speed would drasticaly reduce the chances of a hit compared to the higher, even if fired at a long battleline, due to an 11 minute running time.

As I say I haven't read the whole piece yet so I don't even know how important this is to the whole argument, but it just stood out as not feeling quite right.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this paper is copyrighted. Where did you find it? I may pull this post down if I don't hear from you soon, as one could regard private exchange of such data as being for study purposes, but nailing it on a public website is akin to publication.

I've read this paper before, and regard its thesis as a befuddled fantasy, but doubtless rich in details of some merit. Like many Sumida works, it is a valuable guide to seeing what sources he draws upon which can be fruitful in shaping one's own studies.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jwduquette1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tone:

as I say, i was googling for something completely unrelated -- secondary fragmentation from plate perforation by armor piercing projectiles. this article came up as a hit. i think i may have accidently back doored the thing.

it is copyrighted as far as i can tell -- it looked interesting.

my only thoughts were that the burden of attack always resided with the germans. i'm not much on the strategy of seapower, but the british did not need to destroy the german fleet to win the war, and RN remaining in being was far more essential than acheiving a trafalger'esk like victory over the high seas fleet.

regards
JD
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for removing the text.

Others desiring access to it might find it available for licensed download at reasonable cost. If I had to wager a guess, google would provide such pointers as well. Try searching on

Sumida "A Matter of Timing"

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: