The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naval Jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZachAttack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Naval Jobs Reply with quote

I read that Elmo Zumwalt (future CNO) was an evaluator on a destroyer at Surigao Strait. Who is an evaluator?
Harley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the US Navy's historical website we have this;

Quote:
In January 1944 he reported on board the USS Robinson, and for "heroic service as Evaluator in the Combat Information Center... (of that destroyer), in action against enemy Japanese battleships during the Battle for Leyte Gulf, 25 October 1944.. ." he was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V." The citation further states:

"During a torpedo attack on enemy battleships, Lieutenant Zumwalt furnished information indispensable to the success of the attack..."

I'm sure someone will give you a proper answer in due course as to the technical definition of an evaluator.

Simon
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a local man who was aboard USS McGowan (Fletcher class, DD 678)during the Surigao Battle. He recalled the torpedo attack they made there, but I believe he was stationed in an engine room.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: