The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German Battleships converted to Minesweeper Parent Ships WWI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eds3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: German Battleships converted to Minesweeper Parent Ships WWI Reply with quote

Pre-Dreadnaught German Battleships SMS Schwaben, SMS Wittlesbach, SMS Lothringen, and SMS Preussen were converted into Minesweeper parent ships by removing their guns and replacing these with 14-16 boat skids to carry 15 meter F-class minesweeping boats on their main decks.

This was later in WWI, and in Groner "Die Deutchen Kriegschiffe 1815-1945" Wittlesbach and Lothringen drawings are shown depicting their configuration with F-boats aboard.

Two of them appear to be finished with conversion in 1919, but I am assuming that Germany still had an obligation to clear mines in the Baltic & North Seas - even though WWI was over in 1918.

Groner labeled these ships as Minenraummutterschiffe's for WWI (there were several other non Battleship types) and shortened the designations to Minenraumschiffe in WWII. Six transports were converted to WWII "MRS".

I am writing about minesweeping boats, primarily 1944-1970, but want to acknowledge early german development of the Parent ship concept 25 years before the Allies adopted the concept.

I would like to find a photograph of any of these four following conversion.

Sincerely,

Edward Sinclair
Portland, OR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: