The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to a proper platform

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Moving to a proper platform Reply with quote

I am working with some consultants to do a proof-of-concept showing sailors able to walk the deck of my Queen Mary model in a multi-player game engine. Should be good if they can do it.

My initial goal is to see that the concept translates without undo hardship, and then to have these gurus orient my thinking into the new way of doing things. With luck (and tolerable expense), I will have a basis for bringing my existing functionality into a form where further advances will be possible.

I explored Blender3D YET AGAIN in hope of finding a mesh editor that did not make me want to totally puke. No go -- you can deceive yourself only so long before you realize this application lacks a global undo. What are they thinking? It has a monkeyhead has a primitive shape and does not have an undo feature as a core design concept? Yikes! Is this not like having a Ferrari with no door handle?

Lord I wish Rhino3D were beefed up so it was also a polymesh modeler. Everything in it is mostly as you expect, and so capable, that you learn as you work. It is a thing of beauty best appreciated when you try other editing tools.

I clearly need to find someone to model my game ships for me, and to assist me in coming up to speed on a modeling tool sufficiently that I can do the shipboard fittings (Dreyer tables, semaphore machines, guns, etc).

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maxyang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you will not do a lot modeling yourself now, but just remind you that Rhinoceros is quite capable of handling polygons in my own limited view. You can rebuild a NURBS surface (degree 3 or more) into a polygon mesh (degree 1) with necessary precision. You can also edit the vertices regardless the degree. It may not have some usual functions, but to me, Rhino is good enough.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rhino would be a great poly modeler with just a few more features (e.g. object snaps working on edges of polys).

But.... Rhino materials and decals and textures really do not translate through most art paths. I suppose that worse come to worse, I can model in Rhino and throw it over the fence to someone else, but I'd really prefer to have someone take the helm in modeling the ships. The only part that demands my hands-on attention is the instruments, I feel.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: