The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreadnought Relics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy303

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Dreadnought Relics Reply with quote

Greetings to the Forum!
Not long after the Dreadnought Conference I acquired a small piece of the ship herself: a small copper bowl (aka ashtray) made from copper salvaged from Dreadnought and stamped accordingly.
I acquired this object from ebay, and though I did not know it at the time, managed to outbid a curator frm the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmouth. We exchanged emails and the item is now on loan to the museum for their up coming exhibition on the Dreadnought, even though I myself have never actually seen or touched the thing!
Anyways, they are looking for more items, so if anyone has something please contact Mr. Stephen Courtney: http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/new_news.htm
Here is a picture of some of the items, including my bowl.
It would be sad if the only remaining bit was a copper ashtray!
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=549644192

Best Regards,
Andy Blackley
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy -- hats off to you for a splendid gesture. I'm sure others will enjoy this in a full context.

In a related story, I made my best effort to convince the holder of the incredible relic pictured below to try to make similar arrangements, but he worried that it would be considered the rightful property of the UK government and not be returned to him.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
andy303

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone: Oh my oh my. NOW theres a find!
Last year I saw a broken barometer with a mahagoney wood back that was supposed to be wood salvaged from the Dreadnought, although it had no markings. I wonder how much mahagoney there was on board. I rememebr reading in Dawsons "Flotillas" that when war was declared in August 1914 that the mids took particular delight in chopping the woodwork in the Admirals cabin to bits.
You see bits of teak from other ships come up every so often. I have a teak napkin ring from HMS Warspite. Although theres no telling where it really came from. I see them on ebay fairly often. Makes one think that there some little shop in the UK just turning them out for naval history buffs....
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a neighbor of my mom's in Maine in the US who had a barograph purported to be from a Grand Fleet dreadnought. It had some week-long pressure scrolls from some indeterminate point in time (the year was not mentioned), and upon further thought I asked him to find the pressure transient of HMS Vanguard going up on a given day of the week. He said he thought he'd found just that data (but I'm sure some more checking is in order).

I should stop by and see that and make sure he knows how to spell my name when next he modifies his will. ;)

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a ship modeler down in Wilmington, NC that has planked his kitchen floor with teak that was leftover from when the deck of the USS North Carolina was replaced. He also uses it in his models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: