The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreadnought Project Simulations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever I need to check a main armament, torpedo belt or propulsion on short notice (and it isn't in my excel file), I use this site. Very useful for such things, although some of the "modification" entries are a bit sparse. Has quite a few stats on the Dantons and the Courbets. What I like is it has a lot of information on Pre-Dreadnoughts, which aren't the most popular kind of stats.
JspencerCE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: one final thought Reply with quote

One thing I need to find out (aside from seeing if my speculation is true or not) is the Rate of Fire the Dantons achieved in service!
Harley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.navweaps.com suggests that the 305mm guns on the Dantons achieved between 1 and 2 rounds a minute, with the ROF for the 240mm being around 2 a minute. Rather vague I'm afraid.
JspencerCE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: NavWeaps Reply with quote

I believe NavWeaps takes its info from Peter Hodges work The Big Gun (?).

There are a few errors in this fine book concerning French weapons. I have heard (but not confirmed) a rate of 5 rounds per minute for the 240mm which sounds rather high to me. (while 2 sounds rather low).

Hopefully, I will find something official one day.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I'm really informing anyone here to point out that ROF quotes in any source have a variety of caveats attached that defy the tabular uniform formats in which some sites attempt to compare weapons.

How well trained was the crew, and how fresh?
Were the top speeds of loading inclusive of a complete sustained feed from shellrooms and magazines?
Are some of the speeds actually reflective of initial rates of fire as shell and powder buffers in intermediate spaces are exhausted?
Do all such figures include the same performance being made by other weapons that may share powder room, shell room, or hoists with a given gun (e.g.: the other gun(s) in the mount, and in some cases nearby mountings)
Did the overall facilities for employing the weapon actually reward its topmost rate of fire actually being achieved, or were other factors likely to moot them (e.g.: waiting for sights to roll on, or expertly worked guns being salvoed with guns served by slower crews)

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a copy of Histoire de la Conduite de tir dans la Marine on abebooks.fr. At 50 for a 50 year old technical work, it strikes me as being a reasonable price. Would it be rude to ask how much you got your copy for, John? Alas, I just don't have that much money to blow on a single book at the moment, what with the Dreadnought conference coming up and shelling out for Warrior to Dreadnought, The Grand Fleet, a book on Battleship art.

What I did get for 35, and which I'm working my way through at the moment, is Richelieu by Sarnet and le Vaillant. 456 pages of pure joy and detail. It also happens to have one of the most descriptive sections on the working of the East Indies and Pacific Fleets that I've seen outside the Official Histories. Lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: