The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9ft rangefinder wiki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewGolconda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: 9ft rangefinder wiki Reply with quote

I notice in the wiki on the KGV's, reference is made to these being retained for torpedo control.

Friedman, in the early chapters of "network centric warfare" and perhaps one or two other works, makes reference to these post jutland superstructure rangefinders being dual use - torpedo direction and to provide data for tactical plotting, the superstructures of most of the WWI dreadnoughts in this time beeing modified to incorperate more room for tactical plotting.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear to me how this all played out.

There is note made repeatedly that the TCT's 9-footers were to be used exclusively for torpedo control, but the Dreyer tables' range plotting typewriters had "T" keys for plotting the cuts of these devices. I doubt the ambition that torpedo control alone use these RFs held sway when the big picture was considered.

More likely, these were preferred for TC use, but never (or not long) reserved for such purposes. I cannot figure out why the RN was so slow to see how toothless the torpedo armament of capital ships were for the cost in weight and space reserved for their support and use. I'd think it had to be blindingly obvious to all but an entrenched torpedo warfare professional!

What role, if any, torpedo plotting played is also in question. I think it fell into deep disfavor around 1918, but the terminology used is perhaps ambiguous. I offer it brief mention at the end of the article on the Torpedo Control Plotting Instrument.

It appears that the Hood was to have, as of 1918, a plotting table for torpedo work, in a space dedicated to plotting.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: