The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another new guy with a question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ironman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Another new guy with a question Reply with quote

Greetings,

I came across this site a few years back when looking for drawings online. I was so impressed with the original color plans. Since then the site has Improved and all the beautiful 3D models are, well in a word, fantastic. I've been interested in pre Dreadnought warships since childhood. I am finaly at a place where I can realize some of the dreams I've had since then.
This will be my first attempt at a large scale scratch build. I really like the lines of the armored cruiser USS Brooklyn so I decided on her.
I guess I have 2 questions actualy.

Has anyone made a 3D model that I could view?

And what might be my best source for quality drawings?

Ive scoured around the net, but have been unable to locate any drawings.
I did come up with a few photos but thats it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Iain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to go for drawings is the National Archives; however, expect to shell out some serious cash AND expect at least a three month delay. Look at my post on the North Carolina to see approximately what you get.
MarkD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another place you can go:

http://www.marylandsilver.com

Their plans for the Brooklyn (CA-1) cost $42 - not too bad of a price, but I'm not sure of the quality.

I bought a set of plans from there for the West Virginia (BB-48) and was quite pleased with what I got.
Ironman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,

I have to do this project on a low budget and I'm a bit excited about being able to. Spendy plans and a long wait dont fit right now.

I had viewed the Carolina thread before registering, its one of the reasons I joined. The drawings were excellent, and what an opportunity,... to build a museum model! I'm hoping you post some pictures as you progress. I'm very much on the learning curve for something of this scope.

Nice link Mark, I'm going to give them a try. My experience with ordering plans online has been varied. I ordered two sets from different vendors for a russian dreadnought. They both cost nearly the same but stark contrast in quality.

Cheers
Ironman
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would encourage you to think about how much time you might spend on the project. If having some super-duper plans would invigorate your interest, even $150 will seem a pittance. I can attest than many months can be invested realizing something from such materials. Often times, real money is needed to really light the fires of your imagination.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tony. What you get from the National Archives will be what survives of the original plans used to build the ship AND you can order a CD (or DVD) with the drawings scanned rather than having to deal with paper. This can save quite a bit of time and effort.

I do not think that Maryland Silver provides this option.
MarkD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain wrote:
I agree with Tony. What you get from the National Archives will be what survives of the original plans used to build the ship AND you can order a CD (or DVD) with the drawings scanned rather than having to deal with paper. This can save quite a bit of time and effort.

I do not think that Maryland Silver provides this option.

That is true. While the Maryland Silver prints I got were good, I ended up having to scan them. To make matters worse, I could only scan small sections.

If you can work from the paper plans, then great, but if you're going to work on them with the computer, you may want to consider the NARA option.
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the guy from the Maryland Silver Co. and spoke with him about the plans. The quality should be good, the set is just limited to whats needed to build the basic Model. I also spoke with someone from the National Archives.

I think I will probably do a mixture. It seems many of the plans available from the NA are somewhat redundant and or non essential to construction. On the other hand it seems some pages may contain views needed for finishing the model such as details regarding guns, rigging, mast, winches, davits, launches, etc. etc. I may have to find someone in DC to do the research for me unless I can find some low rate airfare when the time comes. What is available from MSC. should be enough to get me to the main deck and the bulk of the upper works.

As far as working from paper vs computer,.. paper is the only way I know. If I need something scaled up or down, I take it to kinkos and do it myself.

I still make drawings the old fashioned way. I was lucky enough to come across a roll of grided semi transparent drawing "paper" from Boeing surplus. It works great for transfering the lines from "dark" or "noisey" images.

Ironman
Jefgte

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Has anyone made a 3D model that I could view? ...

Here is a 3D view of a personnal Panzerschiff.

http://forummarine.forumactif.com/vos-maquettes-et-etudes-f48/panzerschiff-en-3-d-t2800.htm
- SMS Friedrich dre Grosse
- USS Arkansas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: