The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"With the Fleet" demoed at JSCSC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: "With the Fleet" demoed at JSCSC Reply with quote

In an uncommon opportunity to show my research, I offered a 15 minute presentation of the Dreyer fire control table and the director firing system to around 60-80 people at the UK's military staff college on September 30th, 2004.

This happy chance fell my way when I went to attend a conference in celebrating the centenary of Jackie Fisher becoming First Sea Lord. The buzzword being applied in retrospect to Fisher's career and in anticipation of current trends toward reinvention of militaries entering the 21st century was "Transformation".

Though I can't say with certainty who made my session which was prized out of the lunch hour, present at the conference were many of the authors and scholars whose work receives global admiration (Andrew Gordon, Prof Sumida, John Brooks, Nicholas Lambert, D K Brown, Eric Grove, Commodore Goldrick, Andrew Lambert), a goodly number of Royal Navy personnel featuring CINCFLEET , and even the modern day Lord and Lady Fisher. Quite an opportunity!

I narrated a silent video being projected 8 feet high on the screen behind me, and things went really well. I will have the chance to present it all again next June before Royal Navy and British Army armaments experts at a dinner commemorating the bicentennial of the Battle of Trafalgar.

So .. I'm very happy with the successful showing of the sim and the associations it has opened for me. Now I need to translate that into momentum that counts: multiplayer functionality on a true game engine to enhance the visual appeal.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maxyang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great work. I love the simulation and hope to play it soon.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Max.

I promised you data from John Roberts, yes?

What sort of data formats would do? He seemed willing to send the entire turret (he works in AutoCAD), presumably if you agree not to translate it directly or publish it.

He's a very friendly guy!

Also... what do you think is the best way to get your Dreadnought in place on the site, and to make sure you take FULL advantage of the work I've performed (e.g.: I think I'm further along on the 12 pdr than you got)

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maxyang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooh, direct information from John, that is perfect. AutoCAD format is good. I will use that as a reference and made up my own model. NO direct translating for sure. That same thing applies to your models too. You can give me Rhinoceros format or AutoCAD format, either will do.

I would like to give you all the direct rendering from the model so that you have the freedom to place it any place you think fit. Or I can give you the final 3dsmax file that you can play around with different view point and even color and texture. How is that sounds?
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is a prince, to be sure.

I have no issues with you making direct use of my model in any way. I only ask that people verify with me their welcome to do so, and to keep in mind that everyone may have different expectations in this regard.

I'd love to see more renders when you can provide them (say 1280 as a max width for now). I have no need for 3DS files in the near future, but might like one some time to see how Rhino renders them. I'd be curious if the texture and material information survives the passage into Rhino.

tone
maxyang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, John got tons of treasure and willing to share with us. I got quite a few CAD drawings from him that he used them to draw his 'Dreadnought' book. And those drawings are so cool. :D

Worked on the turret for a while and will upload new pictures very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing it!

tone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: