The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Armored Cruiser USS North Carolina Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ironman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple pictures of armored cruiser Washington dont know if you seen em or not

I wish I could find photos like this for the Brooklyn.
W F Moore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: USS Washington pics- NOT Reply with quote

I have seen these pics before (on Bill Stewarts's "Great White Fleet" site), and, sadly, they are NOT of a Tennessee-class AC, but of one of the Pennsylvania-class ships.

The clues are the glassed-in bridge being 1 deck lower, the arrangement of the casemate 6" guns, and the gaps in the boat-deck where you can look down to the main deck.

They are, however, great shots of details that are the same between the classes.

Wes
Ironman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for Brooklyn photos when I came across these. They were referenced on the page as Washington, I just took it to be so. Thanks for pointing out they are not. Maybe someone should write the guy who posted these pictures and enlighten him.

http://www.greatwhitefleet.info/newfile16.html

Anyway, I'm back to working on my model.
W F Moore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: NOT washington Reply with quote

I e-mailed the guy*, and he acknowledged my e-mail, but he never got around to re-labelling them.

I have found other instances of Pennsylvania-class ships labelled as Tennessee-class on sites that should know better, and I even have a postcard from back in the day that is mis-labelled.

Wes

*Actually, it was Bill Stewart's GWF site that got me started on the Washington!
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a good port stern view of ACR 9 USS South Dakota. If it doesnt eat up more than your monitor can display when it opens, click to enlarge for a great view!
I'm starting to see construction simularities with all armored cruisers of the era. I'm also starting to notice paint schemes differed to what almost looks like a captains choice/interpretation of a navy order. In the photo the port holes seem to have a black accent and the name one the stern may be natural brass? I say that because it doesnt appear to be black, and the look of the letters at the begining of "Dakota" (or maybe I just cant see). I have seen the name in black on other cruisers in "war paint"
Anyone know the story on that?

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/acr9/acr0905.jpg
Ironman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey check this photo,.. its huge with great detail

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/USS_Seattle_Turret_LOC_09615u.jpg
MarkD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found plans of the Montana (ACR-13) posted on the Historic Naval Ship Association site:

http://hnsa.org/doc/plans/
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkD wrote:
Just found plans of the Montana (ACR-13) posted on the Historic Naval Ship Association site:

http://hnsa.org/doc/plans/

Nice! Free plans are allways good.
Iain

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had had those when I was drawing my own version. The missing decks would have been helpful.
W F Moore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: 1 more picture from Library of Congress Reply with quote

I found (via actually visiting the LoC) another "detail" pic of the Washington's boat deck:

www.loc.gov/rr/print/

pick "Prints and Photographs Online catalog" on left side

search for LC-B2-2260-15

The pic is of the boat deck, with boats, crane, ventilators, winches, skylights, and numerous gra-doo.

I also ordered some copies of other prints at great expense.

How goes the NC, John?

Wes
Iain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on the hull. I've got it about three quarters planked. Having never done a model this big (my last one was two inches long), It's taking rather longer than usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: