The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free 3D software......good enough for beginners.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Free 3D software......good enough for beginners. Reply with quote

I use a 3D software application called Anim8or to make 3D models. Primarily I have made things for another freeware game called Orbiter, which is a very steep learning curve space flight simulator of the solar system. You can fly the Space Shuttle, the Apollo program, and a few science fiction ships which are just high powered, highly fuel effiecient ships like the ones I have done.

http://www.anim8or.com/

I personally have made a Millenium Falcon, a Babalon 5 starfury fighter, and a somewhat realistic moon mission using a nuclear reactor rocket called a NERVA. Oh, and a fleet of old Star Trek ships that would have come between the current Enterprise NX-01 and the old TV series NCC-1701 ships from a fansite that invented those filler ships.

I thought it might be useful to those who come here and want to see what they can do. It's free, and it might be a good way to start 3D modeling.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any software which lets people start modeling at a price and complexity point they find workable is a good find. I have heard good reports about Wings3D (it runs on OS X, XP, and Linux), and some people like Blender, but I have to say I found it just too different, and it lacked real undo capabilities.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can't beat a free 3D software package if you ask me.

I love it myself.
guest 2019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wings3d is a very good modeler software.
it has very direct access to all nessesary tools that are needed for box modeling.
It's only conn is that you can't apply materials on to your geometry, therefore you will need a stand alone uv wrappring software.

Quote:
and some people like Blender, but I have to say I found it just too different, and it lacked real undo capabilities.

in the lastest versions there is unlimited undo capability.
This software has it all what a expensive commercial 3d modeling software includes. One thing that left me out of using blender was his complex interface. Compared to 3dsmax it is un-organized.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is what Animator is. It is free.

I used it to make the SMS Kaiser that Tone was using in his simulation presentation in the UK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: