The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can make 3D models
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: I can make 3D models Reply with quote

Hi, my name is really Kyle Wiegers.

I taught myself how to do 3D modeling as a side hobby, and I can offer you my help if you would like. I use a free, 3D software application called Animator, but it also works with 3D studio Max and other forms of 3D models.

I don't do programming, but I have done enough work with Simulation Development Kits (SDKs) to be able to use my models in other games, partiularily a highly detailed, freeware flight simulator called Orbiter. That is bassically Space Shuttles, rockets and such. I have mainly done science fiction ships for that game myself.

I have already made a quicky battleship of the German Kaiser class, which took me about 6 hours or so, plus a bit of searching the web for reference material, which is how I found this website.

Let me know what you think. I will also be sending this along in an e-mail to the owner of this website to spark a conversation or two.

Later.

Last edited by Weird Guy on Fri May 20, 2005 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update... I quickly got Weird Guy's Kaiser dreadnought into service as a target. It helps the visual style of the sim a lot -- thanks!

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Beatty

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I can make 3D models Reply with quote

Weird Guy wrote:
Hi, my name is really Kyle Wiegers.

I taught myself how to do 3D modeling as a side hobby, and I can offer you some services if you would like them. I use a free, 3D software application called Animator, but it also works with 3D studio Max and other forms of 3D models.

I don't do programming, but I have done enough work with Simulation Development Kits (SDKs) to be able to use my models in other games, partiularily a highly detailed, freeware flight simulator called Orbiter. Space Shuttles and rockest and such.

I have already made a quicky battleship of the German Kaiser class, which took me about 6 hours or so, plus a bit of searching the web for reference material, which is how I found this website.

Let me know what you think. I will also be sending this along in an e-mail to the owner of this website to spark a conversation or two.

Later.

WG,

If you actually have time, it might be helpful to make a brief tutorial on how you modeled this ship so FNG's like myself can learn the basics. I'm eager to make a useful contribution.

Brad
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not that difficult to learn how to make 3D models using Anim8or. The software is free to download from www.anim8or.com.

The first thing to do is try the included tutorials from the Anim8or website. After that it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make something.

I had trouble myself when I first started because I thought drawing out a shape was done by making points and lines myself, but in reality it was not how you do things. You start with a pre-made geometric shape object like a cube, and then move it's points around, and extrude out faces to modify the shape.

My ship hull for example started as a box, with more and more extensions out the front and back of it, which I moved end points inwards each time to get the curved, football shape of a ship hull.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. That looks great in the sim. I noticed that a couple of flags have been added to the ship as well.

As a side note I have been tweaking my model here and there as I debate what to model next. I wasn't really a big fan of the Battlecruiser designs, but as I read about the German Hochseeflotte from world war 1 I kept hearing about the German ship, the Seydlitz (she took a beating....twice....Dogger bank and Jutland). I might make a model of that, or perhaps a light cruiser since I doubt that anybody would ever do one unless forced to, which naturally for me makes me want to give it a try it.

Anyway, here is the latest version of the Kaiser.

Weird Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I found I wanted to do a predreadnought, and the USS Iowa seemed like an interesting design. I thought her "hexigonal" turret arrangment were interesting, with secondary batteries in wing turrets instead of casemates and barbettes.

It is an aragement that the Germans were using on their first dreadnoughts, the Nasau and Helgoland class of battleships.

A bit smaller than the Kaiser, obviously. 16,000 ton, built to a limit set by the US Congress to keep costs under control as the whole navy was built from nothing to something useful. The Kaiser is 24,000 tons.
rubberboot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank Kyle (aka Weird Guy) for pointing me in the direction of anim8tor. Didn't know it existed till his post. I like the models that you have posted. I'm currently using anim8tor to model USS Deleware/ USS North Dakota. I tried both Maya and Rhino, but found anim8tor the easiest to use. I used a hexagon to start the hull, and extruded or point manipulated to get the shape. I've got the hull and turrets done, and currently working on the bridge and lattice/cage towers, which i'm having difficulties with. I can get them looking realistic in wireframe, but they disappear when smooth shaded. I don't know whether to try and 'paint' on the cage structure. In wireframe or flat shaded, the towers look really cool.

I wish I had more info to go on on these ships. Right now, all I have to go on is Anthony Preston's 'Battleships of World War I' and material I find on the web. I hope to be able to post her when complete, so that Mr. Lovell will have another target to shoot at.

Thanks again
Glenn
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have them inside out. That happens sometimes, but I don't think that is the case.

Can you email me a copy of your saved animator file and I will take a look at it.

kylewiegers@alltel.net

Thanks.
rubberboot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Lattice tower (cage mast) Reply with quote

Ok, I've sent the file. I put some detail as to how I got the appearance of the tower. I might try and redo it, this time w/o cutting the faces.
rubberboot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

managed to get the towers to look properly....helluva lot of point manipulation! If somebody could tell me how to attach pictures to this forum, I'll post what I have so far.

Glenn

note...I tried to copy and paste, but it didn't work[/img]
Harley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you hosted the images on a server such as http://photobucket.com? If you have, you put the link to the hosted image between [img]...[/img] and that should do it. Eagerly awaiting your shots.[/i]
rubberboot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is what i have so far

[img]

please forgive....it is still work in progress
Glenn
rubberboot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is 2 other views...sorry there so small
[/list]
Glenn
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look nice! good work.

What ship is it again?

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maxyang

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I should learn some simple modelling myself. 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: