The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hydraulic Manual - What Was It?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy303

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: The Hydraulic Manual - What Was It? Reply with quote

I recently got a copy of Capt. Herbert W. Richmond's "Summary of Confidential Remarks" from his Service Record. The only blackmark appearing against him was a notation made at the end of Dreadnought's May'09-April 1911 commission as the flagship of the Home Fleet. It reads: " Omissions from the Register of Non-transferable Mountings. Capt. R informed by T.L. (Their Lordships) that tho' occasions may arise rendering it impossible to carry out all of the examinations as laid down in the Hydraulic Manual, no excuse can be seen for systematically disregarding the instructions on the subject"

After being the Flag Captain in the most prestigious ship in the fleet, Richmond was given command of a second class cruiser serving as a tender to the submarine school at HMS Vernon.

Richmond was outspoken and had a acid tongue, but how serious an infraction was his disregard for the Manual of Hydraulics?

Tone, do you have a copy of this book?
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know of that manual. If it is hydraulic, it must refer to the 12-in guns and not the 12-pdrs, as these alone used hydraulics. I wonder what sort of liberties he was taking with the guns. It likely was just that inspections were scant or non-standard? I'd think the error or faulty initiative must otherwise have been that of the Gunnery Officer.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
andy303

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadnought's "Guns" in that commission was none other than Richmond's protoge and friend K.G.B. Dewar. I have his Service Record as well and no mention of the affair is made.

The Manual Of Hydraulics was published by the Admiralty Gunnery Branch. Here is a link an addenda to the Manual for sale (expensive!): http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=705729127&searchurl=bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26sortby%3D2%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3DManual%2Bof%2BHydraulics%26x%3D78%26y%3D19%26yrh%3D1930%26yrl%3D1900

I think Brooks may also references the Manual as well.

Here is a link to a 1945 publication that might be interesting and has a lot of information on procedure that were probably in use for years. I especially liked the summary of bugle calls!
Link: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/br224/index.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: