The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early 20th Century US Rangefinders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Early 20th Century US Rangefinders Reply with quote

I'm currently constructing a 3D model of the USS Delaware (BB-28) based on the plans form the National Archives. The plans allude to the location of the rangefinders for the main and secondary batteries and even have a rough outline of the main battery rangefinders, but no details. I have been unable to locate any photographs that show them in any kind of detail either. Does anyone know what equipment would have been installed aboard and where I can find reference drawings and/or photographs?

Thanks,

MD
Jim Broshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: USS Delaware Reply with quote

Norman Friedman's new book Naval Firepower Battleship Guns and Gunnery in the Dreadnought Era (discussed elsewhere in this forum) has showing an overhead view three aft turrets of Delaware (including the range finder on No. 3 turret) circa 1918. The caption says, "note the long-base rangefinder on the raised (No 3) turret to the left. This ship was completed before the US Navy realised that it could fight at ranges that rendered the usual 10ft rangefinders atop its cage masts wholly inadequate. A second rangefinder was mounted on No 2 turret, then moved to a position above the forebridge, where it would suffer less from the weather. By 1922, when the ship was stricken in response to the Washington Treaty, both rangefinders had been enclosed."

Elsewhere in the book (which is written in Friedman's usual opaque style and not very well organized) it says that in 1910, each battleship had a 9ft Barr & Stroud at each masthead and then the Navy bought thirty 3m (about 10 ft) Bausch & Lamb Invar rangefinders. These rangefinders used inverted images for comparison rather than vertical cuts).

So I am assuming that the 1918 rangefinder in the photo is a 3 meter Bausch & Lamb.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lomb, not Lamb, actually. They still make optical devices, including contact lenses.

I have a 1m Bausch and Lomb RF which doesn't work (but NEARLY does). I may have to get some solvent and remove paint until I can get inside.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jim Broshot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tone wrote:
Lomb, not Lamb, actually.

Right, fingers got tangled up again. :oops:
Harley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the range of the U.S. 10-ft range finders? I know the 9-ft British Barr & Stroud ones came in for a lot of stick, even though Dreyer swore blind that they could achieve decent ranges out to 15,000-17,000 yards in reasonable weather.

Harley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: