The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Color Schemes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefgte

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work !!!

Are you going to draw all the interiors parts of the BB ?

Jef
- SMS Friedrich dre Grosse
- USS Arkansas
MarkD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefgte wrote:
Fantastic work !!!

Are you going to draw all the interiors parts of the BB ?

Jef

That's the plan - I have limited information on some of the interior equipment so I'll have to make an educated guess on some of it.

MD
Jefgte

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the congrats from the FrenchMarineForum
:D :D :D
http://forummarine.forumactif.com/dessins-et-plans-de-navires-f23/uss-delaware-bb28-t3680.htm

Jef
- SMS Friedrich dre Grosse
- USS Arkansas
MarkD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefgte wrote:
You have the congrats from the FrenchMarineForum
:D :D :D
http://forummarine.forumactif.com/dessins-et-plans-de-navires-f23/uss-delaware-bb28-t3680.htm

Jef

Wow - I didn't know that many people were paying attention! I don't know French (I had to do a Yahoo! Babel Fish translation of the website, which doesn't do a very good job), so if someone could pass on my humble thanks, that would be great!

MD
maxyang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not been here for a while, and then I am truly astonished by Mark's work. Fantastic. You manage to put up so much in such a short time is remarkable, not to mention those imposing renderings. Definitely need a page in the ship listing here.

Emm, I should go back and put interior in my Dreadnought then. It had been a while I have not do anything on it. :oops:
W F Moore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started CAD work on a USS Washington armored - sorry- armoured cruiser (ACR-11). I didn't know there were others crazy enough to do things like this.

I don't expect to be near completion for about 2 years. So far I have a funnel, a propeller, and a 10" gun barrel! I am waiting for data from the Nat'l archives; my "vendor" says "allow 6 to 8 weeks..."

Thus I am amazed at the BB-28 progress in just a few months!

I am using CATIA-5 (at least until my boss finds out). It allows dimensions, etc., to be revised after the fact, so it's perfect for working from photos (keep adjusting until it looks right).

I am also trying to model ship wakes- lots more complicated than it first appears!

Wes
MarkD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W F Moore wrote:
I didn't know there were others crazy enough to do things like this.

You are not alone!!!

I knew this was an insane undertaking and I have actually paused on this one while I figure out how to best model some other interior sections - most notably the gun turret.

I guess the simple fact is that I really enjoy CAD although I'm not sure my wife really understands why!

MD
maxyang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W F Moore wrote:
I didn't know there were others crazy enough to do things like this.

I knew some more outside this forum and they are just as crazy as you can think. Here is one that I like very much. http://w2322.nsk.ne.jp/qm.masaki/. I am not sure if all the models are done by one person, if so, he must be a superman. :shock:

W F Moore wrote:
I don't expect to be near completion for about 2 years.

I don't expect mine to be finished within a predictable time frame, according to my requirement and my free time. But the good thing is, there will be long time of fun as you finish every little part and gradually having a whole.
MarkD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxyang wrote:
I knew some more outside this forum and they are just as crazy as you can think. Here is one that I like very much. http://w2322.nsk.ne.jp/qm.masaki/. I am not sure if all the models are done by one person, if so, he must be a superman. :shock:

Now that's what I'm talking about - whoever did the Yamato 3D model has an incredible eye for detail and a genuine talent in reading blueprints.

Some may think that constructing a 3D model from blueprints is simple, but it is, in fact, far from it! Visualizing a 3-dimensional object based on 2 or 3 2-dimensional views is quite challenging.

I can only hope to eventually reach that level of detail.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark D -- I am way behind on this, but I am going to cobble together a page showing your renders so far. I am trying to find a web guru who might help me refine a better template for the ship model pages.

My own web authoring is terrible.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MarkD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tone wrote:
Mark D -- I am way behind on this, but I am going to cobble together a page showing your renders so far. I am trying to find a web guru who might help me refine a better template for the ship model pages.

My own web authoring is terrible.

tone

Don't worry about being behind - I have paused on that project temporarily. This will be good motivation to get me going again, though!

MD
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, prepare to be underwhelmed -- my effort here was so humble, I saw when I posted this that I'd already MADE the page and linked it in. I just added minimal text about the ship and a link to her Wikipedia page.

I really hope to get someone to dress up the ship pages. So many nice models that would get so much nicer if only artists were encouraged to see their work in a better context than I've offered so far!

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sputnik

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Looking for 3D models of Spanish American war ships Reply with quote

Hi,

That ship model is over the top amazing. I am working on a project for the naval academy museum and we are looking for ship models in MAX or compatible fromat. We need much simplified version as it will be an icon for a map of the battle. If you are interested let me know if it would be possible to license the model from you to use?

Thanks,

James LaPlante
Sputnik
MarkD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 3D models of Spanish American war ships Reply with quote

Sputnik wrote:
Hi,

That ship model is over the top amazing. I am working on a project for the naval academy museum and we are looking for ship models in MAX or compatible fromat. We need much simplified version as it will be an icon for a map of the battle. If you are interested let me know if it would be possible to license the model from you to use?

Thanks,

James LaPlante
Sputnik

James,

That sounds very interesting!

Feel free to contact me at audiosyseng(at)verizon(dot)net.

Mark D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: