The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New gunnery book by Norman Friedman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccormackpj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: New gunnery book by Norman Friedman Reply with quote

Chanced across this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Naval-Firepower-Battleship-Gunnery-Dreadnought/dp/1844157156/ref=pd_luc_0230218448606201844157156
Any one know any more? Looks like it will be too late to go on the Xmas wish list ..

Patrick
jwduquette1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. It's Norm Friedman so how can you go wrong. I went ahead and pre-ordered a copy -- from me to me for a belated Christmas Present :D
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told it is good. I have Friedman's books on US ships of various types, and find their organization impenetrable -- I often cannot figure out which ship design he is talking about. This is a defect I find missing in similarly envisaged works by DK Brown.

I hope this one is more clearly presented, as Friedman is clearly expert in the topics he addresses.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you got your copy yet JW? Most people are only just starting to get theirs...

Harley
Jim Broshot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this one is more clearly presented, as Friedman is clearly expert in the topics he addresses.

I have received my copy and unfortunately he doesn't. In fact his prose in this one is even more obscure than his other books. He tends to jump around a bit (the HOOD-BISMARCK engagement is brought up in several different chapters).

Still, the book is worth it for the photographs and illustrations (even if the captions can become a bit incomprehensible at times).
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll confess to having extreme difficulty following his books on the design of American destroyers, cruisers, and battleships. I read paragraph after paragraph with no idea which design or ship he is currently talking about!

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: