The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Progress/Plans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St.Vincent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Progress/Plans? Reply with quote

Hi, I've been following the discussion on these forums and exploring some of the presentations on the site for the past couple of weeks, I won't pretend I know very much about this period of history (although I hope I will once I get to the bottom of my frighteningly long reading list) apart from an enthusiastic, some might say childish, appreciation of large explosions and gunfire.

Despite my ignorance, I was, as an afficionado of computer games and simulations, very excited by the scope and detail of the simulation shown in your videos, I may have missed this information somewhere else on the site but I would be interested to know your plans regarding the simulation: Do you intend to continue its development for public consumption as a commercial enterprise, do you see it as a public resource or are you (for the forseeable future, at least) focusing on using it as a medium for further presentations? Most importantly, whatever your plans, how close are you to fulfilling them?

(Apologies for the length and inquisitory nature of my post)

Conor
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in stasis, I'm afraid.

I need the active and considerable involvement of a hard core game coder to lift my spirits and increase my pace. There are a fair number of people on hand interested in contributing artwork to the cause, but they require specifications for the assets, and the promise that their efforts will in fact come to life in a form they can appreciate.

I always enjoy knowing that people are interested in seeing the sim advance, and I don't mind inquiries. A moneyed, passionate fan of history with a strong alignment with my design vision would be a god-send!

I am doing some contract work for the next 2 months or so, but after that I intend to follow up on "yet another" possible avenue for support. I've had a number of such plans already, but some fizzle quite early and others are merely a fun excursion with no real promise of endowment or funding.

The last thing I want to do is just make a WW-I naval sim. Most sims are simply an effort to bring eye candy to a previously overlooked period or theatre. I want to bring the entire feeling of serving in a ship's crew to the masses in a way that will shame all previous efforts. This insistence undercuts the readily perceived commercial appeal of the project, but I am certain it is the basis of having something worth doing at all.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
St.Vincent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sad to see that you're having trouble progressing and I hope that your quest for support turns out well. I can't help but worry, however, at your approach to 'With the Fleet' and that in (nobly) setting out to produce a program that you readily acknowledge has little commercial appeal but is of such scale and depth, you have set yourself an insurmountable challenge, especially given your aparrent lack of resources for such a gargantuan task. It would, perhaps, be better to initially accomplish less than you hoped to in the first instance and progress, by degrees to the program's fullest potential. Simply put, to release the product in installments and thus secure resources to progress onto bigger and better things which will, undoubtedly 'shame all previous efforts' rather than attempting to accomplish it all by yourself in one go.

(Please do not misinterpret my pessimism for incredulity at your abilities or perseverance which I hope will prove me wrong. I am simply trying to ensure that your product does not become 'the vapourware of good intentions' and that the community can experiance a simulation that is already better than anything currently on the market rather than waiting for you to better your achievement and 'shooting yourself in the foot' in the process)

With respect

Conor
Lusitan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tone wrote:
I'm in stasis, I'm afraid.

The last thing I want to do is just make a WW-I naval sim. Most sims are simply an effort to bring eye candy to a previously overlooked period or theatre. I want to bring the entire feeling of serving in a ship's crew to the masses in a way that will shame all previous efforts. This insistence undercuts the readily perceived commercial appeal of the project, but I am certain it is the basis of having something worth doing at all.

Don't be sad. :wink:

tone wrote:

Well.. thats the 1st thing i want to do, but you would be suprised about how i want to do it, that being said, i will require "some" assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: