The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The skuttling at Jutland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metatron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: The skuttling at Jutland Reply with quote

Hy;

I'm actually reading 'Jutland to Junkyard'. What a nice book to suggest to read. Especially a little article hidden in the last pages, which is from Vize-Admiral 'von Reuter' who managed the sinking.
He tells us about the reaction of the british forces, which paniced and even fired on the german sinking ships, while the shore CO was making photos instead of ordering cease-fire. I got a chill reading these little four pages of concentrated situational report of a chaos.
He ends with:

[...] All these magnificent battleships and destroyers had gone, sunk, once the pride of the German nation, mighty works of German shipbuilding skill. How much thought, how much military skill and experience had gone into them! [...]

That could drop a tear, without shame.
A book just to be read by those in love of the ships of the KHSF.

Ciao
Niels

BTW: SMS Lützow (and eventually Derfflinger & Hindenburg) WIP:
Harley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair the British were effectively being cheated out of 53 warships. And quite what kind of reception Reuter expected is very debateable. I'm sure had the position been reversed, the Germans would have done the same and started shooting. It's more of a miracle that only 9 German officers and sailors were killed all things considered.
Metatron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would not start shooting; because ships are sinking? A la 'my paralized enemy without authoritive command and sufficient battle-ready crews is annihilating his entire naval war-machinery [and thus his potencial to threaten us]'.

But, hey, I'm pretty pacifistic, so I should wonder. I can accept the explanation of trying to re-take control, though, even if if feels quite pre-mature.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niels... your model looks wonderful. I'd really like to put some renders on the site when you're ready.

Feel free to email me: I'm tone@ (this domain) :)

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Adrian Dobb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to hear of someone else enjoying Jutland to Junkyard. I found the story of the salvage operations and the technical details a fascinating postscript to the High Seas Fleet story.

Nice models too! I marval at all the models I see here - such work is beyond my ability and patience.

Adrian
maxyang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice model. Eager to see more and bigger renderings. By the way, what software you are using and what drawings you are referencing? Again, you model looks really beautiful.
Metatron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: SMS Lützow (Work-in-Progress) Reply with quote

Thanks, but the model is at the very beginning. The last days I worked on the bow, and a better reconstruction of a ll the little elements on it. So here is what I got for you.

http://adsignum.com/stuff/WiPP.png for original resolution

My initial source was the papermodel from GPM, I extracted the basic shaped from it, like hull-profiles and the various decks. I could extract some of the elevations of the arms from the plan Tone has of the SMS Hindenburg. Well and then I was surtfing, surfing, surfing; to get detail-shots of the little stuff that's all over the deck. The most photos exist of the SmS Ostfriesland that got docked up in New York (and was later used as target-ship for bombers) and someone made photos of all and everything. A lot of the elements where outdated, the Derfflinger-Class and also the Bayern-Class as well as the Königs, got more modern boxes, but I digged out at least one exposition-shot of those. I think the obviously most found photos of all these ships are line-shot, the whole length of the hull from the side; you just don't see anything on them.

The software I use is Cinema4D, I can prepare the logic of the mechanic through XPresso-tags, which means I can create custom controls for rotation and elevation of the guns, as you can see on the picture where I also indicate their limits with splines.

So long
Niels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: