The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted.B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: A few pics Reply with quote

Somebody sent me a file with these pics inside in BMP format, I have converted them into jpeg for this post but if anybody would like them in bmp then say so and I will try and arrange that.

maxyang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, like the Lion and the "Dotter", revealing details. Thanks. Ted
Harley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice variety of pictures. And now I know how they practiced continuous aim with the secondary battery at least.

I for one would be very interested in the bitmaps Ted B. Email me at simonharley@gmail.com if you would.

Does anyone know whether the floating docks were acutlaly given names, designations? For example in the USN a similar vessel would be YFD-x. Or would it be just as described in the caption above; "HM Medway Floating Dock?

Cheers,
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design and use of dotters and their progeny is fairly well recorded. They generally used an irregularly-shaped came to drive the card's motion.

Eventually, there were even shore-based director trainers which would pitch and yaw chaotically, and even buck when the guns were fired due to the action of a device called the "kicker".

Naval training can make a fair claim to being the birthplace of simulation.

edit: the gun with the dotter is not familiar. I find the shield and its distinctive slots for the scopes (and removable slot cover "basket") unusual.

I find the layer's parking of his cap amusing!

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ted.B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stuck the bmp files up on my webspace for download now, there are some other pictures which I did not include in the original post but they may prove of interest. Some early naval aviation shots and a few submarines.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ted.bennett/1913.rar

Anybody interested in the passenger liners of the period ?
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell, I put at least a few of what I think were these images here and will look further if you are interested.

Can you tell us a little about your naval interest? I worried that your registration and signature seem a little spammy. This post makes you at least look like a hard-working spammer. Which we really appreciate! :)

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Austrians also had floatind drydocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: