The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RC Models and Model Clubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torpedo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: RC Models and Model Clubs Reply with quote

Hi,

we have a strong model-community in germany, which has lots of shipmodels in scale 1/100 of the Imperial German Navy.

I am looking for similar communities, clubs or modellers in other countries who build ships of the same era. Whoever does or knows, pleas respond or post here.

You can track our activities e.g. in our forum www.marine-forum.de - although it is generally in german, english posts are very welcome!

I hope to get in contact with as many modellers as possible to form an international community of shipbuilding in that era.

P.S. If YOU have any specific questions concerning the Imperial Geman Navy - don't hesitat to ask, we try to help!
jwduquette1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Torpedo:

Here is a question. I have for sometime been looking for drawings or photos of projectiles used by the German Navy during WWI. I have asked a larger number of "experts" on the German Navy of WWI, but this question has succeeded in stumping all of them. I wish to model the flight, descent angles and terminal velocity characteristics using several exterior ballistic programs I possess. These flight characteristics are very much a function of the shape of the projectiles nose, itís length, diameter of the driving band, etc. To that end I have been looking for images or drawings to help me determine projectile charachteristics and geometry. While I have had good luck tracking down excellent photos and drawings of the various 305mm shells employed by the German Navy during this period, I have very little luck finding any photos or drawings of 28cm caliber shells (aside from HE L/3,6 base fuze - Spr.gr. L/3,6 Bdz).

Moltke and Seydlitz Classes
28 cm/50 (11") SK L/50

Von der Tann Classes
28 cm/45 (11") SK L/45

Have you seen, or can you point me to a reference that includes either photos or drawings of either of these two projectiles?

28 cm APC L/3,2 - Psgr. L/3,2 (mhb) (302 kg)
28 cm HE L/4,4 base and nose fuze - Spr.gr. L/4,4 Bdz u. Kz (mhb) (284 kg)

Of course locating schusstafeln would be better, but I have assumed that if one can't even find photos of the projectiles, locating schusstafeln would nothing short of miraculous.

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards
JD
torpedo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry for the late answer. I recommend Paul Schmalenbachs "Geschichte der deutschen Schiffsartillerie".

There you can find details about shells, caliber etc.

It is available e.g.
http://cgi.zvab.com/SESSz82251603611152349572/cgi-bin/n_showitem.cgi?item=1288248641&lang=de&lo=gr2&mode=detail&dcurr=EUR&scurr=EUR&uc=de&shp=0&noimg=&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi%2Ezvab%2Ecom%2FSESSz82251603611152349572%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fn_xsearch%2Ecgi%3Fuc%3Dde%26shp%3D0%26dcurr%3DEUR%26noimg%3D0%26lang%3Dde%26term%3Dschmalenbach%2Bpaul%26days%3D%2D%2D%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26sid%3D1070815172888387196%26npos%3D11%26cnt%3D184%26rpp%3D10

I hope, I could help you.
jwduquette1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Torpedo:

Thanks for your follow-up post. I actually purchased a copy of "Geschichte der deutschen Schiffsartillerie" about a year or so ago. I think someone else had recommended the book to me after I had asked about circa-WWI 28cm psgr. Unfortunately the book has nothing in the way of line drawings or photos of the projectile, nor does it include any sort of description of the projectiles geometry. Nose shape and length are of most interest. Is it a 2-crh nose -- or 4-crh nose -- or 5-crh nose -- or a 5/10-crh nose? Something in between? That is the sort of information I am seeking.

Body length and driving band diameter would also be of interest -- but the latter two bits are typically very difficult to track down.

Best Regards
JD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: