The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feb 9th-11th, 2006 Dreadnought Conference Greenwich UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Feb 9th-11th, 2006 Dreadnought Conference Greenwich UK Reply with quote

I am going to attend a conference at tha National Maritime Museum next Feb 9th through 11th commemorating the centenary of the HMS Dreadnought. I wonder if I will see any of you there?

You can read about it here.

Speakers include Eric Grove, John Brooks (an expert on fire control systems on the RN of this era), and Andrew Lambert.

Registration fee is 90 pounds.

Please reply here if you're interested, and we'll try to ensure that we get hotel rooms convenient to dining out and maximum degrees of chat.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think I'll definately be up for that. I happen to be a student so it's only 45 registration for me, which is nice and certainly worth it. I'll sort out the form and payment first thing tomorrow morning.
This is the kind of stuff I had hoped to study at King's College in the War Studies Department under Andrew Lambert; alas, they fudged my application last year, and now I'm doomed to be a politician and not a strategic historian. I can not wait until February now.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be great to meet you, Harley.

Andrew Lambert is amongst those presenting. I'm a little sad to see John Roberts is not a speaker. He a phenomenal expert on the ship and her brethren. DK Brown would also have been nice, but I guess they want to make sure they get enough political context and not dwell too much on the bolts.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm particularly intrigued by the seminar on the Dreadnought and Women! It'll be interesting to see what comes up there; can't say I've ever thought of the Battleship in terms of femininity...
And is it me or are the hotel rates around Greenwich enough to make a man choke?
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they are formidable. I think I'd seek lodging somewhere cheaper and commute. The dockyard light rail system connects down there as I recall. I may seek cotspace at a friend's place or get a room in the extremely spartan hotels near Earl's Court.

tone
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all ticketed and will be there on the 9th through 11th, and then have 2 days (at least) to visit the National Archives and such.

I believe Horsa (David Millichope) will be there, and perhaps Harley. I need to double-check that my registration is confirmed, as I have not heard back from NMM.

tone
maxyang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to go there myself if I can. :D But ...

Please take this chance to see if we can reach a better deal with NMM to get some drawings :D.
Harley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been booked in since the start of December :D. Will be there Friday thru Monday (gonna catch a concert).
andy303

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also be attending the conference.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Photos from the Conference Reply with quote

We had a great time at the conference. I met Andy303, Horsa, Harley, and RobB in addition to the usual pack of heavy hitters (John Brooks, John Roberts, Eric Grove, Andrew Lambert).

Here are 3 shots David "Horsa" Millichope sent.

The first day was merely a "hello" talk and then some wine guzzling at Queen's House. After the 2nd and 3rd days, however, we repaired to a local pub called The Spanish Galleon to talk and socialize. Below is after the 2nd day, and shows all the people familiar to the Dreadnought Project's BBS around the table, with the sad exception of Andy303. Let to right, they are Simon Harley, Rob Brassington, Tony Lovell, and David Millichope.

Here is Horsa and Tone standing between Queen's House (where lunch was had) and the NMM. The Royal Observatory (where powerful telescopes permit the press to see into the bed chambers at Buckingham Palace, hence the name) would be 500 yards behind the photographer up a hill). I believe this is midway through the third day

After the last day, we prevailed upon Dr. John Brooks to join us, and found ourselves falling in with a larger assemblage of people studying in the UK. From left to right: Simon Harley, John Brooks, Tony Lovell, Russell Potts (a friend of John's who is working hard on an authoritative history of model yachting), and Chris Bukey (an American student of Eric Grove).

It was a great time. My only regrets was that there was not more time for discussion, that there were not a stronger focus on the naval and technological aspects of the ship and her time, and that I missed my chance to see the great naval bookstore in Greenwich, which as weighed anchor and moved to a larger site further from the Museum.

tone
Adrian Dobb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tone and all

Looks like an interesting time was had at the Greenwich conference. Beer and dreadnought discussion, a fine combination!

If anyone has time, is there any chance of a review of proceedings. There are usually some little gems of wisdom to be learned at such events.

Adrian
Beatty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Dobb wrote:
Beer and dreadnought discussion, a fine combination!

YES!!!

I am so jellous!!!

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: