The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreadnought Photography Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Dreadnought Photography Thread Reply with quote

The title says it all. What I'm looking for are images of British Pre-Dreadnoughts, Dreadnoughts and Super-Dreadnoughts at the end of The Great War and shortly after. I'm a fairly competent draughtsman and would really like to piece together profiles of British warships with all the paraphenalia of war and refits attatched. As a matter of course, I will post what I have here, starting with my already displayed image of;

H.M.S. Temeraire in 1917

Last edited by Harley on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an unusual shot. The ship looks so different. I have to imagine the two slotted blockhouses up high are secondary battery control positions.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a similar picture of sister-ship HMS Superb berthed in Constantinople in 1918, looking as she does in "The Grand Fleet".

EDIT: And a nice view of successor St. Vincent-class member HMS Collingwood;

Last edited by Harley on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: 12" Ships Galore Reply with quote

Another image found; was looking through my copy of "British Capital Ships 1873-1946" by noted marine artist Ian Marshall and spotted this.

HMS Temeraire, 1920

From what I can gather, most of the improved Dreadnoughts (as opposed to Super-Dreadnoughts) were sent to the Mediterranean to support the final push against Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire. Good old Arthur Marder is rather vague on the subject, so I'm trawling the Naval Record Society publications for more info on my beloved 12" ships.

Oh ho, and yet another picture of Temeraire - this one from 1919 and an even clearer image of what can only be assumed to be secondary battery control positions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: