The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to the task
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tone wrote:

2. I miss the shell woosh sound I had working so nicely in 2005. I want to get that back!

Yes! That sound effect is awesome and was rarely (if ever) incorporated into sound effects of past naval games. I have also found sound effects for the actual gun blast wanting in many games of the past as well. I do like yours in the director fire video however Iíve always thought that itís be cool to try to emulate the sounds heard in the various videos from when the battleships were still in service. Wisconsin firing for the last time Now granted a lot of the noise is overloading the microphone but if one can get close I think it its sound more authentic because you really get the feel of the size and power of those guns. It may of course be difficult from a sound engineering side to replicate though.

tone wrote:

5. Wireless was a nice means of ordering the ships around. This was the only part that had actual networking in it in 2005. I even had a phone app and a Java app that could send morse code into the game environment. It was Nerdvana. I don't need that back just yet, but being able to send messages between ships helps vary the gunnery problem. For instance, you could in the 2005 sim, stand on the destroyer and tell the wireless operator "/send KA steer north east" and he would hear this and use his key to tap out "KA steer north", which the wireless operator on SMS Kaiser (callsign "KA") would copy and upon receiving it, shout it aloud and upon hearing THAT, the helmsman would turn the wheel to take up the commanded heading. Again ... roughly the way games SHOULD work and none actually do.

tone

Oh wow I didnít know that. The java apps to send morse code is really cool! Didnít you have VoIP capability too? Or are these one in the same?

Brad
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow progress. I have a quirky but horizon-to-horizon sea surface now.

Worked on splashes and explosions a bit.

Shell whoosh still MIA, but I will see what is up. I think it MAY be that the speed of sound is somehow too slow in the sim and the splash/explosion sound is preempting its play. I had a simple model that the terminal sound of a shell would mute any in-flight sound it may have been making... not clear to me that this would be so. I can try just removing that logic to see if the whooshes become audible.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post a video soon -- it's looking darn nice.

Shell whooshes are back.

Explosions look great.

Splashes... ehhh... need work

Sounds have a more reasonable attenuation over distance

I really should open source my sound layer and enhancements to the particle emitter stuff, as it adds all sorts of nice stuff anyone would want, such as propagation delays for sound and wind influence on smoke plumes for particles.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been working on speech, and edging timidly toward multiplayer.

The sailors now speak aloud, though the player types to them.. I am trying to altogether avoid resurrecting the visual text chat in favor of VoIP and speech recognition. I'm a rebel!

I'm not sure how ready my code base is for polished work, but I am trying to get some help from modelers and a coder pal.

Tone
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further updates... a lot of progress. I'll discuss it in terms of the 2005 simulation.

The sim does indeed live, and runs at about 60 frames per second on my iMac -- about 4-6x faster than in 2005. I was able to have the battlecruiser take a few shots at a target under director fire and using the Dreyer table and everything. It was ugly, but encouraging.

Primary Issues

The primary issues were that the navyphone networks (which were a bit of a hack back in 2005) were not working. The good news is that I relied upon these networks very little. There were two of them: one was simply a hard-wired navyphone from spotting top to TS, and the other was a hacky general broadcast network from TS to TCT, GCT, director, and the turrets. While the first was needed to have spotting corrections work, the second one was needed to alert the crew that there is a target, and what is its bearing. Simple as that is, if they don't know there's a target to shoot at, they sit around doing nothing! I'm pretty literal in my approach.

This deficiency obligated me to run around the ship and inform each station verbally that there was a target. I had to go to the director, and the transmitting station, and the spotting top and B turret (I didn't bother telling the other turrets). Consequently, I saw the director, B turret and the armoured hood swing onto the target. The data networks were working nicely, and ranges and deflections arriving at the director, and range cuts and bearings from the hood getting down to the TS.

In the TS, the Dreyer table was working through I did not carefully check its function. The paper plots were being drawn, which took some doing! Alas, one aim I had had was to increase their resolution from the 2005 edition, but it turns out that updating the textures hurts the frame rate terribly, and the frequency with which this task must be done is proportional to the resolution. So, they still look rather pixellated.

The second major defect became apparent when I started firing on the target destroyer... the right gun in B turret remained drooping downward, firing its shells indifferently short of the target. A quick visit back to the turret revealed absenteeism on a scale I'd expect of Tiger, but never the Queen Mary! The right gun had no gunlayer at all. A little looking at the code revealed I'd simplified this ugly code to get running quickly, and it needs quite a bit more work to make the turrets right.

My most recent work has been to add back in name tags on the sailors to help me better sort out the crewing logic issue. I feel it gives the sailors a sense of accountability, too :)

Little Issues and Omissions

Smaller issues are still common. I've not tested the UI for many devices. Some of them will require a lot of work to be precisely usable, as I removed outright the HUD-like UI overlays that helped you accurately set the fancy devices like the Dumaresq and the Torpedo Director. I never cared for those HUDs and would rather put something more elegant in place, anyhow. I think I will let the AI sailors work those devices for the time being. The wireless stations are torn out for now as I did not care to immediately redo their audio synthesis logic. The signal flag are also not present as the engine lacks efficient cloth animation for the time being. This is ok, as their use in my earlier sim were primarily as eye candy. The debriefing tool which permitted me to play back a gunnery exercise for analysis is torn apart. It can and should reappear, but in Java2D form.

3D Art Help Needed

What I have could get so much better if a talented and dedicated 3D artist volunteered to help. My materials and textures are poor to non-existent, and I intend not to look at these until the sim is working properly from an interactive point of view.

My project is presently using Wavefront objects (a .obj and a .mtl file per component). I am exporting my objects from Rhino3D, which does not do a great job and I've given up on learning how Rhino3D expects me to specify materials and textures, as my attention is needed on the sim, not its assets.

Another art path option I'm told is better is if my objects were converted to Ogre3D's .mesh format. I have far less than zero time to explore these avenues. I simply don't care to become a 3D modeler again, as so many others are so much better at it than I am.

If you can help me, please drop me an email. I am reachable as "tone" through this domain name.

tone
Beatty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything going on these days?
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away from it for about a year now.

Unless a dedicated artist and coder joined me, it is just hard to keep convincing progress jhappening
Beatty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that really sucks. I was hoping you could get traction for your work. As a aside, are you going to partake in World of Warships? It looks very "arcadeish" but may be the only outlet for big gun era combat (though it looks to be WWII era). Might be fun but definitely not a true simulation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: