The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Armored Cruisers Forever! (Georgios Averoff)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W F Moore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Armored Cruisers Forever! (Georgios Averoff) Reply with quote

As I approached my 5th year of working on my ACR-11 (USS Washington) project, I was resigned to the apparent fact that ACs were extinct worldwide. Visiting the 'protected' cruiser USS Olympia in Philadelphia was as close as I was going to get.

Imagine my surprise as I researched the fate of ACs worldwide (a remarkably large fraction were destroyed in battle or by mishap) to discover that in Greece (of all places!) the armored cruiser Georgios Averof survives as a museum ship near Athens!!

The genesis of this ship is as remarkable as her survival. She was a sister of the Italian Pisa class; when (in 1910) the Italian gov't cut its procurement from 3 to 2, the Greek tycoon Georgios Averof (or his estate- it's unclear) put up the cash for a down payment on the incomplete ship, the balance being raised by 'popular subscription.'

It was a good investment- in the 1912 Balkan War, it chased the obsolete Turkish navey out of the Aegean. In WW-I it survived the attentions of the Central Powers AND the Allies. In WW-II it escaped being Stuka'd or scuttled as the Germans engulfed Greece, eventually carrying the Greek government-in-exile back to Athens.

So now all I need to do is get to Athens to get all of my questions about early 20th century warship installations anwered...

Weasel[/i]
Djoser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I would love to see this ship!

Is there a website or location for photographs?
W F Moore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look up "Armored Cruiser Georgios Averof" in Wikipedia (only 1 f).
There are some pics there, and links, esp. the one under References- #3. This goes to a site in Greek, but with cool pics.

Weasel
W F Moore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Look up "GREEK cruiser georgios Averof"

Weasel
paul cockshott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: cheap at 300,000 Reply with quote

That was remarkably cheap for a ship of that size and date. As I recall Dreadnought cost 1Million.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: